Humidity/ Temperature

tmcv

Arachnosquire
Hi,

does anyone have some ideal parameters about humidity and temperature of the most common species in capitivity?
And any information about light necessity??

Thanks,
tmcv

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi,

does anyone have some ideal parameters about humidity and temperature of the most common species in capitivity?
And any information about light necessity??

Thanks,
tmcv
You'll find some helpful info in this thread:

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/sho...et!!!-(READ-ME-before-asking-care-questions!)

I don't believe controlling humidity in your tarantulas' enclosures needs to be an exact science. You don't need supplemental light. The ambient light in the whatever room they are housed in will suit tarantulas just fine.

Is there a particular species you had in mind?

SamuraiSid

Arachnodemon
You might get some "healthy" debate over this topic. I still consider myself a n00b to proper husbandry, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

All my inverts get room temp (~65F - ~72F winter) and do just fine. Temp has occasionaly dropped to 60F, and they do fine. I built a hot box for my slings, which holds 80F, and they did fine.

In regards to proper humidity, it depends on the maturity of the T, IMO. As T's mature, they become more watertight, and rely less on the environment to provide them with proper water needs. To illustrate my point (and promote my hatred for the "commercial pet supply industry";)) I always used an exo-terra brand hygrometer in my emperor scorpion tank. They have reasonably high humidity requirements. Well, the hygrometer never worked from day one, and always read a 75-85% so I thought everything was peachy. After being on these boards for a short while, I realised there is no way humidity is hovering around 80%, when room humidity is 60%, and the substrate is bone dry.

My point about humidity, dont lose any sleep over it. In general keep the substrate even slightly moist, or moist, or really moist depending on the type and maturity of your T.

Room lighting is fine.

If your comfortable, your T should be comfortable too.

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My point about humidity, dont lose any sleep over it. In general keep the substrate even slightly moist, or moist, or really moist depending on the type and maturity of your T.
My thoughts exactly. It's definitely worth mentioning that slings' humidity needs are higher than adults. I keep a close eye on mine. Even then, I'm just "eyeballing" things.

Last edited: