Orange and Black Cpede from Big Bend region S. heros?

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
This is a good size pede, at least six inches, but way wider and chunkier than anything like S. polymorpha. Size wise, looks like a S. heros a molt or two from maturity. It's orange and black on each segment, not striped, but kind of like a splotch of paint dropped on a stripe leaving a circle (ish) pattern on other color. Sorry, I can't post pics on library, but will when I can.

So are there any other large, chunky, Cpedes here? Or is this an S. heros color form? And if so, do we have any names?

THanks! R :geek:

---------- Post added 04-18-2012 at 12:04 PM ----------

ps., I am not in Odessa, but in Big Bend. I put it in title, but sometimes people miss that. :D

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah that's a heros. You prob noticed the last two tergites are solid black like heros heros. To me I see it as a color form of the color form heros heros lol. I've seen pics of some around El Paso that barely have that black pattern going on. I had a pair, they mated and I let the female get out right after.
:mad:

found an old pic

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thanks for reply, I'll have to look at pic when I get back to civilization. At Terlingua library, which also happens to be school library, which is blocking pics here. I should have pics for you too when I make it back. This one came out in middle of day on friends wall in his house! They all ran at it with kitchen knives, but I saved it. :D

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Here's another pic. I saw a couple out in the middle of the day also, walking around on a boulder. One was obviously looking for something to eat, the other one crawled in a crack.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
I'm sure you've posted this before but...oh hell, I don't even know what to say about it. S. heros distribution makes my head hurt.