Feeding little Avic

Hayden

Arachnosquire
Hello,
I posted some questions about my new little A. versicolor. She seems to be doing great, very active, working on a massive web. I have some feeding questions. She is about quarter sized, And I offered her a quarter inch cricket off of tongs. She chose to instead run up the tongs and leap onto my face. She's a handful. I left the cricket in there, I kinda smooshed it, so it's not really doing great. What else should I be doing for her?

rockhopper

Arachnosquire
Nothing. If its hungry it will go find the food. No need to use the tongs though its quite fun to feel the 'hit' when they rip it off.

Hayden

Arachnosquire
Thanks! She's so little I don't think I'd feel it I couldn't feel her in my hair. -_-'
She's a pain in the butt, but she's adorable. I feel like I'm learning a lot.

Jterry

Arachnosquire
Thanks! She's so little I don't think I'd feel it I couldn't feel her in my hair. -_-'
She's a pain in the butt, but she's adorable. I feel like I'm learning a lot.
That's adorable. Aren't little Avics just a blast? When my Versi was a spiderling, I remember not being able to feel her on my skin. They're so cute. I fell in love with her right away :love:

Hayden

Arachnosquire
That's adorable. Aren't little Avics just a blast? When my Versi was a spiderling, I remember not being able to feel her on my skin. They're so cute. I fell in love with her right away :love:
They are so precious. I'm so worried I'm accidentally going to kill her. :(

hamhock 74

Arachnobaron
Overcaring will do more harm than good with low maintenance pets like tarantulas in my opinion, relax I bet you've already got your little versi under well kept conditions.

How long have you had the versi for, it might be settling in, are you being too forceful with the tongs, the sudden jolt of you putting a little cricket into its webbing might have disturbed it triggering a flight response, for now I'd leave the partially smooshed cricket in there, s/he will get it if its interested if not remove it tomorrow.

Hayden

Arachnosquire
I got her on Saturday, so it could very well be her adjusting. I'm trying not to overmist, just keeping her ventilated. I will try putting a few little unsmooshed crickets in soon.

I put a picture of her house in my other thread. It is the same enclosure she's been living in for her whole life, so I'm assuming it's okay for her.

Hayden

Arachnosquire
Making sure her enclosure has ample ventilation. From everything I've read and been told about keeping Avics, keeping them well ventilated is the key to keeping them alive.

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So are you adding ventilation or opening it frequently? I'm not sure what you meant by keeping her "ventilated".

Hayden

Arachnosquire
She's got lots of little airholes in her enclosure. I'm not doing anything in particular, just making sure the air is circulating in her enclosure.

Toogledoo

Arachnoknight
I'm sure you'll do just fine. My little Versis always had to run out and say hello when we were feeding and watering. They're a lot of fun to keep!

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Funny how often I read that versi slings tend to run up the tweezers, mine never did or gave any indication to. It helps not sticking the cricket into the spiders face, but just holding a few from it. If she's willing to take it out of the tongs, she will. If not - leave it in there and let them hunt it out ;)

Avics are pure cuteness at that size for sure ;)

RS4guy

Arachnosquire
I love my avic sling, one of the best pets to date Ive owned.

SamuraiSid

Arachnodemon
I sometimes enjoy having my T's rip the prey item out of my tongs. Im thinking the T is quite aware of the cricket, even if its in the tongs thrashing around in mid air. I find that sometimes my slings intially 'run' from prey, but I go and check up them several minutes later to see they are successfully eating.

Its the excessive "loving" I provide that causes the opposite reaction Im after. One day I'll learn my lesson;)

They are ambush predators that have honed their hunting skills for 380,000,000 years; they know what they're doing.