Handling aggressive tarantulas

anitec21

Arachnopeon
So people tell my have you handled a tarantula that's known to be aggressive and skittish?

---------- Post added 04-20-2012 at 12:15 AM ----------

Me not my lol

pwilson5

Arachnoknight
while i dont really recomend holding "defensive" Ts.. i find that most of them tend to calm down a bit when you get them outside their burrow..

my BIG h lividum

the above pic was right when i got her.. now shes a happy pet hole. lol

tarantulagirl10

Arachnobaron
I don't usually hold any of my ts. Occasionally while rehousing or when my 12 year old wants to hold one we will hold one of the more docile species. That is very rare though.

AReaHerps

Arachnopeon
Most of my Ts now are slings except for my wife's B. smithi

I used to love holding ALL my Ts when I was younger. Now though, I'm much more paranoid that one would get spooked, dash, and have a fatal tumble. Simply not worth it to me. I would much rather enjoy my babies with plastic or glass between us than to see them die before my eyes. I know that seems extreme but when I do have the urge, I'll hold my little curly hair and literally just lay down near the ground.

Sent from my Android Tapatalk App!

pwilson5

Arachnoknight
yeah anitec, i was rehousing her.. she bolted up my arm and was sitting on the back of my neck.. thankfully my fiance was home and helped me remove her...

can you imagine trying to reach back where you cant see and grabbing a 6" haplo?? *shudders*

crawltech

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
check out my youtube,..i do some poeci handleing,..although they arent being aggresive, or defensive...not even very skittish,..

.......I guess that doesnt count then.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
check out my youtube,..i do some poeci handleing,..although they arent being aggresive, or defensive...not even very skittish,..

Doesn't count! Your's seem to be always high or something - you sure you don't grow weed in your enclosures? :D

Fun aside - you have A LOT of experience with them, buddy. I wouldn't suggest to handle "hot" species as a beginner and not when having had those for a couple weeks and thinking you KNOW them either.

Aside from that, personally, I don't handle any of mine unless they happen to run onto me. They don't benefit from that, so why bother?

anitec21

Arachnopeon
Most of my Ts now are slings except for my wife's B. smithi

I used to love holding ALL my Ts when I was younger. Now though, I'm much more paranoid that one would get spooked, dash, and have a fatal tumble. Simply not worth it to me. I would much rather enjoy my babies with plastic or glass between us than to see them die before my eyes. I know that seems extreme but when I do have the urge, I'll hold my little curly hair and literally just lay down near the ground.

Sent from my Android Tapatalk App!
i was paranoid at first with my G.Rosea biting the feeding tong but i handle them except for my B.Vagans its defensive.

---------- Post added 04-22-2012 at 08:55 PM ----------

Your brave to handle those i would be nervous lol

Zman181

Arachnoknight
while i dont really recomend holding "defensive" Ts.. i find that most of them tend to calm down a bit when you get them outside their burrow..

my BIG h lividum

the above pic was right when i got her.. now shes a happy pet hole. lol
Wow! That is a BEAUTIFUL picture :worship:

anitec21

Arachnopeon
Doesn't count! Your's seem to be always high or something - you sure you don't grow weed in your enclosures? :D

Fun aside - you have A LOT of experience with them, buddy. I wouldn't suggest to handle "hot" species as a beginner and not when having had those for a couple weeks and thinking you KNOW them either.

Aside from that, personally, I don't handle any of mine unless they happen to run onto me. They don't benefit from that, so why bother?
My last tarantula i handled was the G.Rosea

notsobear

Arachnopeon
i have yet to let my poki's crawl aroudn on me, i got my regalis 2 weeks ago he is making a nice burrow and really skiddish, so ill give him some time to get used to me before i start lettign him crawl around ,
and my Ornata just molted so i really wanna be careful with her
been itching to feed her tho her buts so tiny!
i cant hold out 2 more days until she is ready to eat
i know my Gbb isnt really dangerous but i just took her ou liek 10 mins ago ;)
http://youtu.be/_0E9dpgXNEk

Last edited:

Jared781

Arachnobaron
Iv handled my C. huahini... very quick to dart up my arm to be "pearched" on my shoulder!

darren21

Arachnopeon
i have a corbalt blue which is very defensive and will rare up on hind legs and show its fang but sometime come to you and hes ok but i have been bitten but her ans believe me it hurts bad for about 2 weeks ang got giant birdeater to

---------- Post added 03-27-2015 at 05:06 PM ----------

my giant bird eater is ok sometimes with respect but my king baboon and corbalt blue is a different matter