Diurnal Species?

oldmanofthesea

Arachnoknight
I hav a c. hentzi colony and a colony of emperors. I knew they are both nocturnal. I am new to keeping invertebrates and I am wondering if there are any scorpions that are more diurnal, not too hot and easy to buy in the US. Thanks in advance. ron

snippy

Arachnobaron
Parabuthus villosus has been described as diurnal, see the following paper

It's venom is however not among the weak but at least the black morph is rather calm.

Regards
Finn

tdark1

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My collection is tiny compared to lots of people here, esp. Snippy... However, I have noted that my Parabuthus Villosus (black phase) female is constantly out. She is always trolling around her cage, or digging a new scrape, she has even moved an entire slab of cork from one end of the cage back to the other.... She doesn't seem to burrow or care about building a burrow, beyond just a scrape. When I don't see her, is usually when shes basking herself on the hot end of the cage in her scrape after a meal (gets to around 95-100 on her basking spot). However, please note, I hardly see my male (ever). He is always under a scrape at either the hot or the cool end of his cage...

Cheers,

Rob

P.S. - All of my Andro's hide all day long, be it in burrows or under scrapes...

oldmanofthesea

Arachnoknight
Thank you for the information. I thinks P. Villosus maybe a little "hotter" than I feel comfortable with, but I will research them a bit more. Maybe somebody else will chime in with another suggestion. Thanks again, Ron

LLLReptile

Arachnopeon
Hey Ron,

diurnalism in scorpions definitely appears to be the exception as opposed to the rule, even in species it is documented in. As noted in Harington's notes, even P. villosus is only considered to be partially diurnal. Certain Vaejovids have documented diurnal behaviour (no vaejovids are considered to have particularly toxic venom) and P. imperator, which you currently have, may display occasional diurnal behaviour. I have observed emperors hunting in low-light conditions during the day in captivity, but I wouldn't call the behaviour common. Most of the time a well fed and unstressed scorpion that is acclimated to it's enclosure will hide during the day. While I don't recommend shining UV on scorpions for extended durations, small hand-held UV lights (they started making LED ones some years back that work quite well) are a great way to observe them hunting or performing other behaviours that typically occur after dark.
Cheers,
Dean
LLLReptile & Supply Company, Inc.
http://www.LLLreptile.com
1-888-54-Reptile (toll free)

oldmanofthesea

Arachnoknight
Dean, Thank you for the information. I have been looking at the Vaejovids and will research them some more. I just got an order of dry goods from you folks a couple of weeks ago. Thanks again. Ron

LLLReptile

Arachnopeon
Hey Ron,

my pleasure. You may already know this, but it's worth noting that there has been some extensive revision to Vaejovidae's systematics in the last couple decades, so some species may now have different genus names. The Vaejovids listed in Harington's paper (Vaejovis littoralis and V. gertschi) have both since been moved to the genus Serradigitus, so you may have more luck finding info on them as S. littoralis or S. gertschi. Though I'm unaware of S. littoralis in captivity, S. gertschi is native to the Southwestern US and is sometimes available.
Cheers,
Dean
LLLReptile & Supply Company, Inc.
http://www.LLLreptile.com
1-888-54-Reptile (toll free)

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hottentotta trilineatus and H.hottentotta are partially diurnal.....but Buthids and moderately venomous.....and available in the US