Poecilotheria question.

dWebster

Arachnopeon
So after staring for hours at pictures I can't see any difference between P. striata and P. Regalis. Can anyone help me out. I'm starting to wonder if there are just a lot of misslabled pictures.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
the yellow leg banding is more extensive in the regalis, the cream "belly band" only appears on the regalis, the regalis colors are a lil more prominent on the regalis also, the 2 differ in size... striata max out around 8" while the regalis get up to 9+............. those are off the top of my head.. there PROB is more, ive just never owned striata so cant say for sure

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
The easiest way to differentiate the 2 is P. regalis has a ventral cream colored band on the abdomen, that P. srtiata lacks. I've heard of some younger P. striata having a light color band , but it fades with age.

later, Tom

Rich65

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Is the cream banding evident in males of regalis as well ?? The male I have has all the yellow ventral coloring but seems to lack the belly band. Thanks

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Is the cream banding evident in males of regalis as well ?? The male I have has all the yellow ventral coloring but seems to lack the belly band. Thanks
yes... a male DEFINITELY gets the band. i noticed that MY regalis got some yellow at about 2.5" then with the NEXT molt it started getting the belly band. by the time mine was 3.5 it was very apparent.

notsobear

Arachnopeon
Taking a look at the poeci's ventral side is best for getting the i.d. in most cases.
thats an awesome pic ! havnt seen them all matched up like that next to each other before

Last edited by a moderator:

SamuraiSid

Arachnodemon
I spend a lot of time looking at T pics, and cant hardly tell the dif between most poeci's... Other than rufilata and metallica.:sarcasm:

sbullet

Arachnoknight
I agree, other than regalis, metallica, roofie, subfusca, at a glance they are all pretty similar.