Molting- Problem with B. emiia

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My emilia is small, not much larger than a quarter in total leg span (diameter).

It was drinking last night, it hasn't eaten in a while.

Well, today I found it right side up, w/the carapace popped off, and clearly in the process of molting.

I've never seen a T molt right side up however. I haven't done anything as I prefer to leave mother nature alone. Plus I know the new exoskeleton is soft.

My concern is my emilia may die in the process of molting.

I've never seen this before with any of my other T's.

Suggestions?

tarantulagirl10

Arachnobaron
Usually they flip over to molt, but not always. Just leave her alone and I'm sure she will be fine. I have had a few molt in weird positions :)

Prometheus

Arachnoknight
Smaller T's IME moult in weird positions all the time and almost always end up getting the job done.

Jared781

Arachnobaron
Iv had a few Ts molt right side up. Its not really a problem, yet for me its a little sketchy!!! When this does happen and they are molting right side up I watch very very closely and check up on constantly! lol

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just leave it alone and don't disturb it. Tarantulas are capable of molting upright and will do so occasionally.

Tweak

Arachnosquire
A general rule of thumb is, the younger the T the easier and more frequent their molts are

Kris M

Arachnopeon
My 1/2" P. irminia just finished a molt, was my first molt ever AND I was lucky enough to be home to keep an eye on him during the process.
Anyways he was laying sideways in a little burrow he made, didn't even look like he was going to have room to come out he was wedged in place so tight.
At the end of it he came out just fine, I like to think that the spiders know what they're doing, at least more than we do.