Segestria florentina

Curious jay

Arachnodemon
So I finally managed to capture what I believe is a Segestria florentina from my workplace as I'm intrigued by their web tubs, I was just wondering what the best setup would be I've got a soft plastic tube I'm thinking of drilling some wood out and sealing it to the side of a tank insert the tube so I can have the spider visible in her hide (I believe it's a she but she lacks the irridesent green fangs?) would an arboreal style setup be better or terrestrial with a nice block of wood in for her to use? Or is there any other base object I could use for her retreat? Any tips would be much appreciated if anyone had photos of setups that would be even better! :)

Julie

Arachnopeon
I'm interested in keeping them. I live in the Midlands so will have to plan a holiday down South lol. Are they interesting to keep?

Curious jay

Arachnodemon
Once established in the setup, pretty much a web tube with legs that makes fast burst lunges at prey.

But they're very cool to keep, aggresive feeders, some ain't afraid to defend themselves, others are very skittish.

Fairly slow growing, but pretty long lived for a true spider, plus the irridecent green chelicerae are a nice bonus.

very adaptive, will setup shop in any type of environment.

I keep them on the dry side, noticed when humidity gets to high they became kinda lethargic.

Julie

Arachnopeon
Thank you for the info. Where do you get yours from? Do you catch them yourself?

Curious jay

Arachnodemon
Yea, got a lot housed up around my workplace, just scoop up the ones I see relocating when on night shift.

Curious jay

Arachnodemon
Julie, are you still interested in these? Or have you located some?

A female I mated up a while back, has had a sack hatch out (wasn't aware she had even laid the sack lol) so I got a few slings I can send you if you like? Probably rehouse the rest in my garden.