Mosquito sucking my blood at 3x magnification

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
cool vid.. never seen a mosquito so close before...kind of cool looking. was that it pooping at 1:20?

Skeri

Arachnosquire
That was interesting. I have never watched a mosquito feed all the way through. I always wear a ton of bug spray when I go out, otherwise I get bit up to all hell. Of course I make sure to shower and wait 24 hours before handling (and by handling I mean anything having to do with sticking my hand it the enclosure. I rarely handle my Ts) any of my Ts after spraying myself down. I'm not sure if that is excessive or not, but I would rather be safe than sorry.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Please don't try that down our way. Dengue and Malaria here. The pooping is the animal getting overfilled with blood until it leaks out the back end. Voracious little pigs.

arachnidsrva

Arachnoknight
it freaks me out to watch that, and to think that each mosquito will carry away a stomach full of your own blood

do you guys think that HIV could be transfered this way??

---------- Post added 05-02-2012 at 05:49 PM ---------- skeri !!

your overprotectiveness of your T's is totally legitimate. I have a friend who lost half of his collection to a candle that his wife lit. I also know of another person that lost several to some frontline that he put on his dog. His dog came in and rolled all over the carpet......

The Snark

Old Timer

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
it freaks me out to watch that, and to think that each mosquito will carry away a stomach full of your own blood

do you guys think that HIV could be transfered this way??
ive always heard that mosquitoes only eat once... that the life cycle (past larva) gis fly around.. eat once.. lay eggs.. then die.. if this is true, IT CANT be possible. no blood mixing goin on SOMEBODY CORRECT ME IF IM WRONG PLEASE

Aurelia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ive always heard that mosquitoes only eat once... that the life cycle (past larva) gis fly around.. eat once.. lay eggs.. then die.. if this is true, IT CANT be possible. no blood mixing goin on SOMEBODY CORRECT ME IF IM WRONG PLEASE
Female mosquitoes can take another blood meal after they lay eggs from a previous blood meal.

The Snark

Old Timer
If that were the case, how could they be a vector? The spread of Dengue typifies the repetitive feeding cycles. In densely human populated urban areas the females feed, or partially feed, several times before laying eggs. Ever swatted one that was about to munch you that was already full of blood? In crowded urban areas the Aedes mosquitoes undergo a feeding frenzy, with sometimes only a few mosquitoes infecting several dozen people in the space of a day or two during the wet (mosquito) season. The disease spreads out into less densely human populated areas and gradually fades out until the next year. Dengue, being a virus, infects the gut of the mosquito then after 8 to 10 days the disease spreads to the salivary glands and is viable and ready to spread with each subsequent bite. With the anopheles, the malarial parasite goes through a partial life cycle within the mosquito and it takes 10 to 21 days before the parasite can be transmitted to a new host.
Almost always, until the female mosquito feels fully sated and ready to lay eggs, she will continue to feed over and over. Some females, due to any of a number of factors, never get around to laying eggs and continue to feed through their entire life cycle.

As for blood mixing, that has never been recorded and appears to be impossible. The mosquito only injects saliva. My question is, how can a mosquito be so fastidious at one end while leaking excess food, blood, out the other? Even more so, why do a number of viruses invade the salivary glands of the mosquito but the HIV virus apparently doesn't?

Last edited:

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Here's your video embedded here, Fishman.
[YOUTUBE]_cESBsv6Xlg&hd=1[/YOUTUBE]

Furret

Arachnosquire
Although incredibly disgusting, I have to say that is pretty cool. Never actually seen one of those little bastards suck blood so up close before.