What type of feeders do you prefer for your Scorpions?

tdark1

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I know everyone might have access to different feeder items. As such, I was just curious what people feed as their most common prey item to scorpions? Currently I feed a mix of Dubia and Crickets (haven't tried B. Lats ever, I've been told I should).

It seems that the B. Dubia don't trigger the same "feeding" response from my scorpions, it's also a pain to have to crush their heads prior to feeding, so they don't burrow away. I am looking at maybe trying B. Lats, but I have heard nightmares from people breeding B. Lats. I ask this as I am setting up a roach colony and don't know if I should use B. Dubia or B. Lats (crickets are out of the question, unless I feel like swinging by the store and grabbing a bag). I mostly keep scorpions (90%) with a small amount of T's.

Cheers,

Rob

Hornets inverts

Arachnobaron
Crickets are number 1 in my books for scorps, many just wont touch roaches and they tend to hide before being eaten

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I prefer to feed cats, because I hate these, but I feed them crickets....

Sigyn

Arachnopeon
I once feed wall lizards to my H.madraspatensis .It used to consume wholly. But this happens only after it refuses to eat for long time. After it ate 3 or 4 wall lizards within a week or so it refuses to eat except roach......

Roblicious

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Dubia and crickets

I have a few scorpions that refuse to eat dubia so I have to feed them.crickets (c sculps would rather starve)

Yeah it's annoying when they burrow, but more times than not they burrow into one of the emps tunnels lol

khil

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
they really like crickets
will also take flies, still experimenting on wild bugs

Furret

Arachnosquire
Crickets, dubias, and superworms are what I usually feed mine. Also frozen pinkies; however I've used a live pinkie and it's very entertaining to watch an imperator try and kill it before eating it ;)

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'd like like to feed out one of my neighbors. They tend to go for crickets best over here and I've been raising the bigger "super crickets", red heads, Pandinus and Heterometrus really go for those. The strong back legs with spikes are a little dangerous for some other inverts though, just have to pop them off.

tdark1

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'd like like to feed out one of my neighbors. They tend to go for crickets best over here and I've been raising the bigger "super crickets", red heads, Pandinus and Heterometrus really go for those. The strong back legs with spikes are a little dangerous for some other inverts though, just have to pop them off.
My neighbor keeps getting me fined via his trash can with my HOA, I know how you feel!! I ordered a B. Lat colony as they garnish a similar feeding response to a cricket and yet cannot burrow (I cannot stand crickets). Seems B. Lats are one of the best selections for feeders for feeding strictly scorpions.... I wish B. Dubia were a little more scorpion friendly (half my animals refuse them as they don't trigger feeding responses in these animals). However, I have heard others having feeding response problems utilizing B. Dubia as well...

Cheers,

Rob

Roblicious

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
My neighbor keeps getting me fined via his trash can with my HOA, I know how you feel!! I ordered a B. Lat colony as they garnish a similar feeding response to a cricket and yet cannot burrow (I cannot stand crickets). Seems B. Lats are one of the best selections for feeders for feeding strictly scorpions.... I wish B. Dubia were a little more scorpion friendly (half my animals refuse them as they don't trigger feeding responses in these animals). However, I have heard others having feeding response problems utilizing B. Dubia as well...

Cheers,

Rob
Its hit or.miss with dubia with scorpions or even tarantulas

My guess was due to location but my sculps wont eat them but my haddy devours them. So I dono they can be picky for some reason lol

Crickets are a good bet,but I hate them too noisy, die in a week or so, and if you breed em they stink!

I have never tried b lats in fear of the horror escape infestation stories lol

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
B. lateralis for everything except large species with healthy feeding responses, such as Parabuthus transvaalicus. Feeding them lats is essentially popcorn chicken.

tdark1

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
B. lateralis for everything except large species with healthy feeding responses, such as Parabuthus transvaalicus. Feeding them lats is essentially popcorn chicken.
Jetski,

I was just thinking that same thing!! The only animals of mine that take B. Dubia are my P. Trans (all of them) and my P. Villosus (both male and female)... My A. Bicolor females will only sometimes take them.

Cheers,

Rob

Last edited:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Cheers,

Rob

I like the crickets best, but feeders I also raise are Hissers and dubias. The thing with doobs is that the immatures do burrow as almost everybody knows, and my stuff seems to get tired of them. And as you said, they often don't recognize them as food, unless they move a lot. Hisser nymphs are good imo. These "super crickets", crazy reds, whatever they are, don't die off and stink. They aren't real loud but they do make some noise. I'm on the 3rd generation. What I have seen happen is that a relatively few breed and I get 1000s of them, works out great since I have a lot of stuff. As they mature, they thin out, I guess they eat each other, I don't know, I've never seen them eat each other but that's got to be happening. I've never seen a dead one in there. Then the ones left lay 1000s of eggs and it starts over again. I still have a lot of adults and there are already a lot of pinheads. Really!, no smell with this sps. I found some dwarfed specimens with short legs and short wings and I'm breeding those. If that goes in a good way, there will be crickets that can't jump high, can't fly and can't make loud noises with their oompa loompa fore-wings. Guess I have a lot of time on my hands.

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Jetski,

I was just thinking that same thing!! The only animals of mine that take B. Dubia are my P. Trans (all of them) and my P. Villosus (both male and female)... My A. Bicolor females will only sometimes take them.

Cheers,

Rob
I dont like this nickname and how it's floating around the hobby now... :/

Never got my bicolor to eat them.