Rosie hasnt eatin in over a month!

notsobear

Arachnopeon
i know they are notorious "fasters" This is my First T i recieved on march 28th
i've gotten 5 more T's mostly slings /spiderlings
2 Pokis a green bottle blue and an avic, and one orange baboon
they are all doing fantastic and thriving
seems liek i got there envoirnments on lock
but my rosie still hasnt eatin, i used to look over and find him trying to escape all the time , he hasnt tried to in the past week or so
but im not sure if he has eatin a cricket or not :sarcasm:

is this normal?
could he just be in a long pre-molt stage? he/she is fairly big about 3 inches

Attachments

Grin

Arachnoknight
You would be surprised at how long these guys can go without food.

notsobear

Arachnopeon
You would be surprised at how long these guys can go without food.
for sure, just worried maybe i should just look at every other post about a rosie on here before i posted mine haha.. his/her butt is still pretty plump im just hoping hes doing fine

Jared781

Arachnobaron
dont worry too much... a month is nothin... compared to my G. rosea and her 5

CodieBlain

Arachnopeon
ive had my Rosea for 8 and a half months havent ate since the first day i got her and she is still perfectly fine dont worry they can go up to years ith out eatin

LV-426

Arachnobaron
I have a Selenotypus sp. Nebo that hasn't eaten in almost a year

Furret

Arachnosquire
When I bought my rosie, Dandruff, my first T two years ago, she wouldn't eat for a good two weeks. I guess it's normal; leave two crickets in her tank with a wet cottonball for water, I'm sure she will eventually hunt one down :)

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
prepare yourself to NOT SEE it eat for a LONG time. I have a female that hasnt ate anything from september... except for one cricket about 2 weeks ago after her last pairing. These guys are very interesting **yet under-rated** ts. I also have only seen her drink ONCE in almost a year... maybe YOUR case will be different , but all these posts give ya a heads up on what COULD happen

hamhock 74

Arachnobaron
with a wet cottonball for water:)
Take out that cotton ball, its a breeding ground for bacteria and such. Tarantulas can drink still water just fine, if its still rather small for a bottle cap lid then just lightly moisten the substrate. If your worried crickets will drown then put a small rock/ pebble in their or throw them in so they head on a straight suicidal charge towards your rosie.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
did it molt in those two years, or was that its cycle

Jared781

Arachnobaron
, my first T two years ago, she wouldn't eat for a good two weeks. I guess it's normal; leave two crickets in her tank with a wet cottonball for water, I'm sure she will eventually hunt one down :)
The Cottonball is a good idea for water!

furret said:
"When I bought my rosie, Dandruff"
Dude, thats classssic! must of kicked bristles a lot ayyee??

Tcrazy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
if a t is not eating i would not recommend leaving crickets in there for long periods of time. they tend to irritate a t and can bite. try putting a criket in at night and then in the morning if its still there take it out.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
what size is it? is it a confirmed female? do you have pics? sorry for the questions, im just fascinated with anything rosie lol.. i have been pairing some for a while now and she is gravid (im pretty sure) she hasn't ate forEVER until about two weeks ago when she ate 1 cricket. She molted before i got her (supposedly) last may ... i just like seeing posts sayin what YOU'VE shared because it eases my mind a lil

Aurelia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
what size is it? is it a confirmed female? do you have pics? sorry for the questions, im just fascinated with anything rosie lol.. i have been pairing some for a while now and she is gravid (im pretty sure) she hasn't ate forEVER until about two weeks ago when she ate 1 cricket. She molted before i got her (supposedly) last may ... i just like seeing posts sayin what YOU'VE shared because it eases my mind a lil
She's about 4" and yes, confirmed female, never bred. She is eating now. Here's a pic-

notsobear

Arachnopeon
I can vouch for that. I have a rosie who didn't eat for over 2 years after I got her.
jesus lawd.. haha is that pic you posted that rosie that didnt eat for like 2 years O___o haha i hope i get to watch my rosie eat when it finally decides too

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
She's about 4" and yes, confirmed female, never bred. She is eating now. Here's a pic-
thanks for the visual.. my girl is about that size.. maybe a lil bigger. May end up having time after all.. only worried because the uhair patch on her abdomen shows some brick-reddish brown "skin" underneath... too dark for my liking with a gravid t.. Ive been told dont sweat it tho so..... Congrats for you that she is finally eating tho

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
When I bought my rosie, Dandruff, my first T two years ago, she wouldn't eat for a good two weeks. I guess it's normal; leave two crickets in her tank with a wet cottonball for water, I'm sure she will eventually hunt one down :)
Leaving food items in with a spider for more than 24 hrs is not a smart idea for a few reasons. If they die, (and they most likely will with a fasting rosea) you're asking for mold. They can stress the spider out if it's not eating, and should it decide to molt with live crickets...that's not safe either.

The cottonball with water....no, not a good idea at all (for the reasons already given by others). Tarantulas only need a small, shallow water dish.

To the OP, G. rosea are notorious for fasting as you've already been told. A month is nothing at all. Nothing to worry about. :)