My new(first) Spiny Flower Mantis

Saark

Arachnosquire
It just molted a few days ago and is now an L4. I got it from Peter at Bugs In Cyberspace. The little bugger finally got big enough that I could take a mostly in focus picture of it with my camera's macro setting. Such a cool little bug! This is my second mantis, i had a Ghost Mantis last year that I got from a local breeder through my LPS. Anyway, here's a shot of it chowing on a baby cricket.
DSC04315.jpg

Here's a pic of my Ghost Mantis, Shadow, who sadly is no longer with us.
ShadowAdult.jpg

Tweak

Arachnosquire
That mantis is amazing looking!!! What's its life span?

Saark

Arachnosquire
That mantis is amazing looking!!! What's its life span?
Sadly, as far as I've read, both of these species typically live a year or less. But they are fun while they last :)

Newflvr

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The spiny mantids are very interesting. I just got into mantid keeping about 5 months ago. They are just as addicting as tarantulas. My first group was ghosts and now just getting ready to attempt my first breeding. Overall very cool bugs.

Bugs In Cyberspace

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hey, thanks for the plug!

In my book, a year's lifespan in a pet is a very good thing. Out with the old, in with the new, I say! No human being can ever keep every bug out there. I'd go crazy if I had to keep every bug I ever bought for 20 years like some tarantulas...or mammals (ew!). Of course, you can breed them if you want to and make your childrens' children continue the tradition ;-).

One other neat thing about this species is that they look like a different species almost every time they molt. Forever a hobby classic!

Saark

Arachnosquire
Hey, thanks for the plug!

In my book, a year's lifespan in a pet is a very good thing. Out with the old, in with the new, I say! No human being can ever keep every bug out there. I'd go crazy if I had to keep every bug I ever bought for 20 years like some tarantulas...or mammals (ew!). Of course, you can breed them if you want to and make your childrens' children continue the tradition ;-).

One other neat thing about this species is that they look like a different species almost every time they molt. Forever a hobby classic!
I'm happy to give you the plug! However, I like my pets to live a long time. Considering what I've spent setting up my T. stirmi environment, that thing better live 20 yrs! lol

On the other hand, if all I kept were mantids with a 1 yr life span, I wouldn't be worrying about who will take care of them if I go away next year :)