Lost leg question

Lexx

Arachnopeon
Wonding if anyone can help me out with this. Was checking on my T's last night and notice my King Baboon seemed to be eating something. I hadn't fed her so it seemed a bit strange but I wasn't quite sure at the time because of the angle I had on her. Today I threw a couple crickets in and she took them no probs. looking closer as she had turned around I realized she was missing one of her fourth legs. I am pretty upset about as I have absolutely no idea how this has happened. She seems to be ok, the leg came off right at the carapace and seems a little wet since she took the crickets I'm assuming it's not slowing her down too much. This is my first t to loose a leg, I'm a little worried especially since I don't know the cause. Please anyone with insight or a similar experience, please chime in.

1hughjazzspider

Arachnoknight
If its still wet around that area it might be bleeding. If it is then try putting some corn starch over that area to stop the bleeding. As far as only having 7 legs, it should be fine. It will regenerate a new one in a few molts time.

DannyH

Arachnobaron
It should be fine. T's can lose legs because they are injured, but in a few moults it will be back. Alos, tarantulas don't need that many crickets.

Jterry

Arachnosquire
Say whaaaaat?? Are you saying that your spider ATE HER OWN LEG?? :eek:

Lexx

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the feedback folks, just wish I knew how she got injured.

SamuraiSid

Arachnodemon
Have you had the T for long? If they molt in closed quarters they can have leg issues. T's will self-amputate when they feel the need for it and is nothing to worry about.

Lexx

Arachnopeon
I've only had her for about a month. She's about 6-7 inches and hasn't molted with me yet. She did burrow under some cage decor that ended up caving in on her. She may have gotten an injury then, though it didn't seem like a big ordeal for her. Afterwards she seemed fine, I reorganized her terrarium following the collapse, she now has a much more stable environment to dig in. Didn't realize T's would self amputate in the case of an injury, good to know ally hope she's ok. Thanks again to those who shared their advise.