Wolf Spider, possibly?

AmysAnimals

Arachnobaron
About two weeks ago I was letting my dog outside and there was a spider in my house. It looked very strange. It was small, about maybe a half inch or so. I am not all that positive on size because it was in a crevice curled up. Well it looked odd, it had bumps on it's back so I got a flashlight and shined it on it only to find out those bumps were babies. It was carrying babies on its back. That night I looked up spiders that did that and the only thing that came up were wolf spiders. We have not had wolf spiders around here in a looooong time if ever. I don't remember what exactly the spider looked like because it was so small and I had to get it and its babies out of the house. Well, my brother just told me of a situation of his where he was in the front yard and a spider about an inch came down on him and he said it was HAIRY and he could see its fangs. I don't know if he was exaggerating or not but as small as he said it was I don't think he would have gotten that good of a look at it, but who knows.

I live in southern california in the inland empire. The only spiders I see mostly are black and brown widows...and lots of them

Is it possible for wolf spiders to be "migrating" to my area?

What other spiders carry their young on their back that are in southern california? I tried looking it up but nothing came up. =(

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
About two weeks ago I was letting my dog outside and there was a spider in my house. It looked very strange. It was small, about maybe a half inch or so. I am not all that positive on size because it was in a crevice curled up. Well it looked odd, it had bumps on it's back so I got a flashlight and shined it on it only to find out those bumps were babies. It was carrying babies on its back. That night I looked up spiders that did that and the only thing that came up were wolf spiders. We have not had wolf spiders around here in a looooong time if ever. I don't remember what exactly the spider looked like because it was so small and I had to get it and its babies out of the house. Well, my brother just told me of a situation of his where he was in the front yard and a spider about an inch came down on him and he said it was HAIRY and he could see its fangs. I don't know if he was exaggerating or not but as small as he said it was I don't think he would have gotten that good of a look at it, but who knows.

I live in southern california in the inland empire. The only spiders I see mostly are black and brown widows...and lots of them

Is it possible for wolf spiders to be "migrating" to my area?

What other spiders carry their young on their back that are in southern california? I tried looking it up but nothing came up. =(
I'd be surprised that you hadn't seen Lycosid spiders before now, since there are many species native to your area, including Hogna carolinensis. You can see a list here, made by a Berkley professor, but keep in mind that it is an old list and probably there are species which are found in CA but aren't on this list: http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~stevelew/rta3.html . This is just the list showing the clade which includes the Lycosids.

pitbulllady

AmysAnimals

Arachnobaron
Well, this is embarrassing... I guess I hadn't really known what a wolf spider actually looked like. I thought they looked different. But yes, I have seen a couple but not many around here.
I guess all the black widows eat them! haha

Thanks for that list it's great!

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
What other spiders carry their young on their back that are in southern california? I tried looking it up but nothing came up.
Carrying spiderlings on the back is diagnostic of female wolf spiders. I'm not aware of any other spider family that does this.

maxxxieee

Arachnopeon
Sounds like you have a beautiful wolfie! I've seen and photographed them with their spider-lings everywhere on their backs. A lovely and kind spider. Hope they/it makes it! :)

LemonVenom

Arachnopeon
Wolf Spiders aren't harmful. They just get spooked/ scared so i wouldn't worry about it. You can find them everywhere in the USA.

AmysAnimals

Arachnobaron
Thanks, I wasn't sure if they were harmful or not. =) I kind of hope to see more of them, outside though. My family kills spiders that are inside (except for my spiders, of course). I don't like that. =/