Well, I feel like a terrible idiot

satchellwk

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So, I got my first Tarantula, a G. rosea, back in November. She's done well, except that last month or so, she hasn't been eating. I have heard that they will periodically fast, so I just offered dubias every week. However, I awoke this morning to find here on her back, having webbed up the enclosure insanely. Myself, being the novice I am, instinctively thought something was terribly wrong, so I flipped her over to see if she was still alive and then tried to get her to drink some water. After the fact, I try searching on the internet, and THEN realize that tarantulas molt on their backs. Of course, that's why she hasn't been eating, she was in premolt. That would also explain the crazy webbing all of the sudden. I just didn't realize it because the exoskeleton had not split yet. So, in even more panic, I go back to her enclosure and flip her back over. what I want to know is, have I effectively sealed my t's death with my actions? I'm really angry at myself right now, and I would feel even worse if I have just caused the death of one of my favorite pets (a pet which I hoped to have for many a year).
Any help is greatly appreciated.

8leggedloverlassie

Arachnosquire
only nature will tell. :( just keep its enclosure dark and wait, if it hasnt molted by the next day id say its gone. but things like this hav happened and th t survived so u havnt 'sealed' its fate, but u played russian roulette. good luck

poisoned

Arachnodemon
It will probably be allright, however you should know this stuff before even acquiring a T.
If it molts successfully, leave it alone for a week until it's exoskeleton hardens. Don't feed it until it's fangs turn black (about a week)

Zoomer428

Arachnosquire
It should be fine ts are alittle stronger in molts than we give them credit for...we just say this stuff so we dont mess with them bcus they are fragil at that point still

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It should be fine ts are alittle stronger in molts than we give them credit for...we just say this stuff so we dont mess with them bcus they are fragil at that point still
I'm not as confident as some people here that it will be alright. Picking it up, moving it around, trying to get it to drink...those could definitely lead to a tarantula's death if it is in the process of actively molting. I have heard of cases in which flipping over a molting T leading to its death. It is not the same as messing with a tarantula that has already molted, and the exo hasn't hardened yet. It might pull through, but I think you're quite lucky if that's the outcome. Either way, please keep us informed.

SamuraiSid

Arachnodemon
Lesson learned. Now your gonna go out and buy good quality books, use the search function here, and do as much research as possible to avoid any other mistakes in the future, eh;)

Hopefully your T is ok.

XrustyjamesX

Arachnopeon
Any updates?

I have a G. Rosea also. One day I was working and my fiancé called me on her way to work to tell me that the T was on it's back when she saw it. She was worried so she flipped it over to "make sure it was not dead" then left and called me.
So, it was flipped over into a normal position and finished the molt before I was able to get home and it was completely fine and still is.
They are hardy, I would not stress about it.

satchellwk

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks, everyone, for all the help; I completely understand that this was my fault. I just assumed that T's, like any other invert, would, you know, seek shelter and molt in privacy, but I was wrong. I still can't believe that I don't remember that part (I have bought some T books and read up on them before), I guess I just assumed their molt would be like, say, a centipede's molt (I had a S. subspinipes before a T) and it would go into its hide for a few days, and come out molted. It seems counter-intuitive that they molt like that, since it is their most vulnerable state; lying in the middle of the ground would make them easy prey for any hungry critter that would happen to walk by. Anyway, the good news is she molted with no problems, and is up and walking around (with, I might add, a very pretty dark hue). Even better, her shed was completely intact, so I now know 100% that it is indeed a female, and I have a nice specimen that can go on the wall. But I have indeed learned my lesson; if something odd happens, or something I don't expect, Don't panic and do something I will regret.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Thanks, everyone, for all the help; I completely understand that this was my fault. I just assumed that T's, like any other invert, would, you know, seek shelter and molt in privacy, but I was wrong. I still can't believe that I don't remember that part (I have bought some T books and read up on them before), I guess I just assumed their molt would be like, say, a centipede's molt (I had a S. subspinipes before a T) and it would go into its hide for a few days, and come out molted. It seems counter-intuitive that they molt like that, since it is their most vulnerable state; lying in the middle of the ground would make them easy prey for any hungry critter that would happen to walk by. Anyway, the good news is she molted with no problems, and is up and walking around (with, I might add, a very pretty dark hue). Even better, her shed was completely intact, so I now know 100% that it is indeed a female, and I have a nice specimen that can go on the wall. But I have indeed learned my lesson; if something odd happens, or something I don't expect, Don't panic and do something I will regret.
Well, to you it might seem counter-intuitive, but the spider has no idea it's "out in the open".
I believe they can sense when they are in an enclosed space, and in cases like this, probably equate the entire enclosure as one giant burrow chamber (especially if it's been there a while and has had a chance to trail web everywhere). In the wild, these spiders will most certainly have a burrow/scrape they reside in, and molt in there.

Anyways, good on her for molting for you, and being female no less!

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm glad to hear that your female molted alright. Lesson learned, and your tarantula is fine, so happy day all around. Hobo also makes a very good point above.

Sedition

Arachnopeon
I'm really glad that everything turned out well... Congrats on the gender confirmation and continued relationship with your T. (Whew!)

tarantulagirl10

Arachnobaron
I'm glad that everything turned out okay, and she turned out female too! I'd say it ended up being a good day :)