Dubia colony for T's

AmysAnimals

Arachnobaron
I was just curious what you guys recommend for starting a dubia colony. How many T's should one own before starting one? I am about to have two T's again and then in the summer I will bump it up to three or four and a millipede or two, maybe (But I don't think millipedes eat other bugs). I also have a grass spider but I usually feed it small crix since it's so small. Should I just stick to buying roaches when needed or should I start a colony?

Wlapkiewicz

Arachnopeon
If I were you I would start a dubia colony if I had at least 30 or more Ts. When you have 2,3 maybe even 10 Ts it is just cheaper and less time consuming to buy superworms or crickets from a pet shop.

poisoned

Arachnodemon
I have two Ts currently and two more coming this weekend. I got a box of Blatta laterales with my first T and they are just awesome. I have them in shoebox with egg box and a dish. I just put a piece of fruit on a dish every few days and that's all I do with them. I don't think they reproduce, but I rarely find a dead roach inside and they don't smell. If they reproduce, it's okay, if they don't I'll just buy another box and have it for a long time.

Sedition

Arachnopeon
Your current (and projected) amount of T's doesn't really warrant a colony of B. dubia, although cockroaches are interesting in their own right.

Porp

Arachnosquire
I have 10 T's and my dubia colony was out breeding my feeding by a large amount. So I bought a bearded dragon, problem solved lol. You could always lower the temp to control breeding. Or separate the males and females.

AmysAnimals

Arachnobaron
lol, I may get a lizard sometime next year but that's a ways away, yet. I will stick to just buying them. I'm not going to start a colony. Thanks for the input! =)

tarantulaholic

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I started with like 5 females to 1 male, I started about 50 or so. Now few years later my colony exploded to over 5,000+. I just recently sold about 2K to local petstore to downsize colony. There is no negative effect to having too much dubias you can easily make some cash from stores or even craigslist, plus your T's, lizards, frogs are eating way healthier from dubias than crickets.

AmysAnimals

Arachnobaron
I could sell them but I have no local pet shops around that sell them. So I would only be selling to people like say from here or locals and what not. I would need to learn how to ship live feeders. It could happen, but I'd prefer to wait. =P Maybe in a year or so when my T collection has expanded and maybe I'll have a lizard by then too? Who knows.

poisoned

Arachnodemon
I could sell them but I have no local pet shops around that sell them. So I would only be selling to people like say from here or locals and what not. I would need to learn how to ship live feeders. It could happen, but I'd prefer to wait. =P Maybe in a year or so when my T collection has expanded and maybe I'll have a lizard by then too? Who knows.
If they don't sell them, it doesn't mean they don't want to sell them.