Scolopendra cingulata mating report.

Androctonus_bic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hello;

Last night I tryed one more time tro breed S. cingulata at home. As far as I know, this sp. has a very difficult breeding process because their agressiveness and other factors that aren't well understanded.

I have tryed several times to do it but...this was the result...

But this time, using narcosis chamber (here below) I could get a correct sexage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjCX4EZqAvU

Here a female

And as a result... 5 hours of sex!

Here the sex chamber

Love!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjTPv8vAX8c&feature=youtu.be

Spermweb!

Female with spermatophore

And she eating the rest!

Just... i'm happy to have get this with this sp! (That is my first complete mating atempt with good results)

Cheers
Carles

Last edited:

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Very cool, Carles. I remember you having a lot of trouble from earlier attempts. Was there any aggression between the sexed pair before mating? That spermatophore photo is neat!

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Interesting! Has anybody been breeding these? It would not surprise me if "no" since centipedes are not as popular as tarantulas.

Androctonus_bic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hello;

The matting was perfect no agresiveness in all the proces. I fed them the day before with half sausage each to get them full.
I've tryed this 2 times more, with always destroying result for one of pedes.
And, yes, I think that anybody has been breeding this since i'm in the hobby. Saddenly, T's still been more popular than pedes! Wi will make the path!

Cheers
Carles

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
great job Carles! hopefully the female will not eat her eggs. i paired up a female S. h. arizonensis, she laid and 10 days later ate them. I will pair her again and hopefully she'll lay again soon before the season is over.

also, a buddy of mine got eggs from this specie, but i haven't heard back from him for about 2 weeks now, so i don't know what's going on with them.

Androctonus_bic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
At the end all was very well! 24 pedelings!

Upppps!!!! Well now 23... brow recluse... you already know :(

Cheers
Carles

Fernando Andrad

Arachnopeon
Guys,

Hello, I'm new here, I from Brazil, Sorry about the english.
I just want to know:

How to Know if Scolopendra is male or female?

I have only this foto:

RAAAAL6N_EG4TSviVRH2jlCw82voIAscnTY9YPU0yjKAJ7RrimTBWl419Oj6Pzx-aqXEntQOXeQdyQ7L_KIP1_aDvVN8GdTa.jpg

Thanks!

Fernando Andrad

Arachnopeon
Another question,

they change color as they grow?
this will continue or blue?

Thanks!

My e-mail: fernando.divap@gmail.com

---------- Post added 10-26-2012 at 01:57 PM ----------

Sorry for so many questions, but here in Brazil nobody has this information, I will get new pictures, and if they could, would like to know the species.

Thank's again!

Greenjewls

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It is difficult to sex scolopendra. you need to knock it unconscious with Co2 gas. once it is asleep you can get a macro photo of the genitalia and terminal spines. the spine formation should help with the ID. from there you look up macro images of sexing for that species. also, knowing the species will help hone in on your other question about the coloration. i hope this helps, and good luck! (or just do what I do and don't sex them)