Moving juvenile burrowing T's to larger enclosures

AMP

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone,

I've never posted here before, but I'm a long time lurker. I have 3 T's, (P. murinus, G. pulchripes, and C. fasciatum) and they're all just past the sling stage (finally adult coloration!). Anyway, my question is, now that they're getting too big for their original baby food jar containers, how do I move them out to bigger enclosures? I already moved my OBT to a bigger cage when he go too big, but I just but the baby food jar on its side and left it in there, because I had no idea how to make him leave such a small container. He uses that as a burrow type thing and has a lot more room to move around outside it, and I think that works pretty well.

Anyway, my question is, my G. pulchripes is rapidly getting too big for his jar, and has basically made it one large burrow, how do I move that little guy? Should I just bury the jar in its new enclosure up to the lip and call it a day? What do you all do when you have to move larger burrowing T's for whatever reason?

I hope all that made sense; thanks in advance.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
id just gently prod the pulchripes out on to my hand and place it into the new enclosure (coax it with my finger if it was unwilling)... if youre against handling or scared, id just do what you did with the obt.. ditch the jar when youre done tho.. by the time pulchripes are like .75" they dont burrow anymore (IME) .. if it does, its likely because its ALLOWED?ENCOURAGED.

hamhock 74

Arachnobaron
Argee with gray its what I usually do, use tongs or a lenghty instrument (chopsticks, bbq skewers, toothpicks, etc. Just no stabbing motions! Lol) to coax it out if its an OW T or something your unwilling to get on your fingers/hand :laugh:. If your having a hard time seeing where the sling is in its burrow or if its being plain stubborn you can flood them out by gently pouring water down or around the burrow. In my own personal experience with the flooding technique the tarantulas would stop midway way in there burrows and would still have to be coaxed out.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
its a pulchripes lol... even if it bites (which i HIGHLY DOUBT) its not a severly significant bite. ive never even seen a pulchripes threat display.:sarcasm: seriously though.. dont overthink it.. dont worry about it.. just do it

AMP

Arachnopeon
Thanks, I appreciate the advice. I was more worried about hurting them on accident than anything else haha. I'm definitely not worried about my pulchripes being aggressive, although I didn't really want to tangle with the OBT too much. I like the flooding idea though. My pulchripes tends to stay at the bottom of the burrow and the only hole isn't big enough to get any kind tongs down there. I was just worried about accidently stabbing it or something.

Anyway, thanks a ton!

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
ah.. in that case the flooding would work or maybe just gently pick away at the sub/web mix... usually there is a cotton ball like wad of substrate/webbing at the top you can just pluck out then go to town. I HAVE accidentally killed a TINY freebie by crushing it digging around for it before (when i was brand new to the hobby) so nowadays im real careful myself... i wonder how big that N coloratosomethinorother would be by now lol

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Take existing container, shake out spider & substrate (give the container a few whacks if it won't fall out, like you would with a glass ketchup bottle) into a bucket, fish out the spider and put it into the new container.

Done, takes less than a minute.