Getting a bit worried about my B. Vagans spiderling

UralOwl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've got a 2cm Brachypelma vagans sling that I haven't seen in nearly 2 weeks now - it's dug up some of the substrate and blocked the entrance to its hide. I'm guessing it's in premolt since before it blocked its hide, its abdomen was looking a bit on the fat side along with a dark patch.
I'm still misting out the jar usually every 3-4 days or just when it starts to look a bit dry, but I doubt the T can get to the water on the sides of the jar since it's been trapped in its hide. I haven't bothered throwing any food in since I don't want it harming the T if it is in premolt. I'm very tempted to lift up the hide and make sure it's ok, but I don't want to disturb it, especially if it's in a mid-molt.

Should I just wait it out and see if the tarantula finally emerges from its hide freshly molted?
I apologise that this may sound like a stupid question, but this is my first sling. I do have an adult tarantula, but she's never molted or shown signs of pre-molt since I got her.

spiderfield

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sounds like it may be preparing to molt. I would just leave it be and wait for it to come out on its own. It barricaded itself for a reason, so I would say to be patient and let it do its thing.

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Just because it has sealed itself away, that isn't necessarily in and of itself indicative of an imminent molt. Sometimes they just want a little privacy for a while. That being said, I agree that you should wait it out and not disturb it.

SamuraiSid

Arachnodemon
How big is the enclosure? Too big and the sling will hide as best it can, IME. Smaller means the T will feel a little safer and may be less prone to hiding from you.

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
Mine does this too. Luckily I have her in a small container and can see right into her hide. So far she's done this a couple of weeks before a molt or after a large meal.

Tcrazy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
try putting a pin head cricket in at night and if its there in the morning take it out. slings usually stay under ground because its safe its just what comes natural to them. i dought leaving food in there will be harmful pin heads are not good at digging.

Phlerr

Arachnoknight
Mine does this too. Luckily I have her in a small container and can see right into her hide. So far she's done this a couple of weeks before a molt or after a large meal.
My B vagans sling does the exact same thing. Luckily its burrow is against the side like yours so I can keep an eye on things. o-o

UralOwl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
How big is the enclosure? Too big and the sling will hide as best it can, IME. Smaller means the T will feel a little safer and may be less prone to hiding from you.
It's a round 500ml sweet jar. I couldn't really find anything smaller.

try putting a pin head cricket in at night and if its there in the morning take it out. slings usually stay under ground because its safe its just what comes natural to them. i dought leaving food in there will be harmful pin heads are not good at digging.
It actually hasn't burrowed under the substrate (at least not as far as I know, it may have burrowed inside the hide, no idea), it's just blocked off its micro hide that I put in there. Here's a photo: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/254/img00640201205131954.jpg/

I apologise about the quality of the picture, it was taken using my crappy cell phone camera.
There's still a slight gap at the top of the hide which it hasn't filled in, but I still can't really see what's going on in there. If I do put a cricket in there, I'm not sure if it will even be able to get into the hide or if the sling will bother to come out and grab it.

Tcrazy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It's a round 500ml sweet jar. I couldn't really find anything smaller.

It actually hasn't burrowed under the substrate (at least not as far as I know, it may have burrowed inside the hide, no idea), it's just blocked off its micro hide that I put in there. Here's a photo: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/254/img00640201205131954.jpg/

I apologise about the quality of the picture, it was taken using my crappy cell phone camera.
There's still a slight gap at the top of the hide which it hasn't filled in, but I still can't really see what's going on in there. If I do put a cricket in there, I'm not sure if it will even be able to get into the hide or if the sling will bother to come out and grab it.
if its blocked it off completely should not have to worry about a pin head trying to get in the webbing is pretty strong. id just let it be and give it a week or two just make sure it has water and it will be fine more than likely its in premolt.

UralOwl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
if its blocked it off completely should not have to worry about a pin head trying to get in the webbing is pretty strong. id just let it be and give it a week or two just make sure it has water and it will be fine more than likely its in premolt.
I tried dropping a pinhead cricket in there last night, but it was still there this morning so I decided to just take it out again. I did manage to see a few of the sling's legs through the slight gap it left at the top of the entrance, so thankfully it looks like it's still alive.