L. parahybana

AmysAnimals

Arachnobaron
I am thinking of getting yet another T this week. Jamie is having a special so I want to see about getting a L. parahybana. The only thing is I don't know much about them.

They aren't aggressive, I know that. I don't know really how to keep them. They are burrowers right? So I would use a lot of substrate. Do they like it dry? I read conflicting things. Do they web a lot, like do I need a lot of things for it to web on? It will be a sling. I don't have an enclosure for a burrower/terrestrial so I would need to go get one or scavenge the house for something.
What should I know about this spider?

I wasn't planning on getting one but when I saw the deal I wanted to hop on it, not without knowing the basics though.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I am thinking of getting yet another T this week. Jamie is having a special so I want to see about getting a L. parahybana. The only thing is I don't know much about them.

They aren't aggressive, I know that. I don't know really how to keep them. They are burrowers right? So I would use a lot of substrate. Do they like it dry? I read conflicting things. Do they web a lot, like do I need a lot of things for it to web on? It will be a sling. I don't have an enclosure for a burrower/terrestrial so I would need to go get one or scavenge the house for something.

I wasn't planning on getting one but when I saw the deal I wanted to hop on it, not without knowing the basics though.
hard to explain.. lets see.. 1st of all, they CAN be aggro once theyre older.. my male was scarier than hell once he was around 6" . Could have just been Lunchbox (his name) tho...
As slings they DO tend to burrow. The adults IVE had, i kept nice and dry. (basically housed them just like my rosies.. Maybe misted lightly once a week) for slings, id reccomend standard light mistings every few days. Scavange the house for somethin. I saw jaimies add (im a member) and at 2i I would imagine them small. Like babyfood jar small. As time progresses move them up accordingly.
All in all, they are AWESOME ts. i would reccommend them to ANYBODY in the hobby. Once they hit a decent size they get bolder and make an AWESOME display t. Always out in the open, cool as hell to feed, and they get huge.

hamhock 74

Arachnobaron
I used to have two juvies, they were never defensive, just had a hell of a feeding response, watch 'em fingers.

Didn't keep them differently then other terrestrial species otherwise.

Curious jay

Arachnodemon
I keep my 4" LP on a dry setup moistened when it's burrow looks dry with a fair sized water bowl. Eats like a horse always on display only uses its burrow for security/feeding if you want when I finish work I'll upload my setup.

sbullet

Arachnoknight
It says the LP slings are .25-.35'' so yes, quite small indeed lol. I'm going to wait until they grow up a little, then probably purchase one. (Hopefully you guys don't buy them all first). It's funny how on the two dealer sites I go to --Swifts and Jamies-- the sizes on most have been the same for a couple months. The 2.5'' striata I bought (and it is still labeled 2.5'' on her site) is now easily 3.5'' or maybe a lil bigger. Get yourself a deal and buy a pokie from her lol

@^*#^$8 i REALLY need to stop posting nonsense and get back to studying for my econ exam that is in 5 hours... :bruised:

AmysAnimals

Arachnobaron
Thanks! I just ordered one. $2 I don't think that's half bad for a tarantula. haha

I just got it's enclosure, not sure if it's picture perfect but I am hoping it will do. I am going to post a pic of JUST the enclosure (it's not set up yet or anything) so maybe some one can let me know if it's alright.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
shoot.. at 2$ a pop help jaimie out and order like 4 at least lol.. shipping one solitary .25" sling is crazy IMO, but that goes to show how awesome and dedicated to what she does Jaimie is. You will love the lp. they apparently start off like other slings molt/size wise, but they really do take off in growth changes at juvie and up stages (maybe because i always ended up with males.) I really want to get a female or 3 of these to "experiment" with these food wise and see if i can raise MONSTER sized ts.

AmysAnimals

Arachnobaron
Limit was 2 and I couldn't get two. lol If I could have ordered more I would have. Since I still live here with my parents I have to make sure what I get is okay with them and my limit is 5 and I am up to 3 now well I will be. Then I want to get the Hapalopus and a B. Smithi so yeah haha I will be at my limit here. I am just starting out so keeping these and learning will be good. =D Plus, I have gotten all my T's from Jamie. =P

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yeah was just teasing ya lol. ive seen your threads and know about your disposition. Nice choices on ts btw. Congrats on your new addition either way, and be sure to post pics of it/the enclosure when you have time. Just so ya know .. if you decide to buy 100 ts i can ALWAYS hold them for ya :roflmao:

---------- Post added 05-15-2012 at 11:21 AM ----------

we can keep em in rotation.. your parents wont disapprove lol

AmysAnimals

Arachnobaron
yeah was just teasing ya lol. ive seen your threads and know about your disposition. Nice choices on ts btw. Congrats on your new addition either way, and be sure to post pics of it/the enclosure when you have time. Just so ya know .. if you decide to buy 100 ts i can ALWAYS hold them for ya :roflmao:

---------- Post added 05-15-2012 at 11:21 AM ----------

we can keep em in rotation.. your parents wont disapprove lol
I know. =P haha I wish I could buy 100 T's right now that would be sweet! I never thought about breeding them until just recently. Of course, I'd have to be on my own and have a T room to do that. My friends think I'm wacko. haha I don't care though I love what I love.

Jared781

Arachnobaron

1: To say they arent aggressive [Period] is a little blunt, some can be as all Ts can differ, BUT generally they're quite skittish and love flicking Bristles.

2: They can burrow, especially when they're young;

3: They tend to enjoy moist sub, but iv read on here some enjoy the dryer side, so i would suggest half dry, half moist giving them an option; Then they might show/display a personal preference.

4: Mine does not web too much, only when a molt is pending... Yet still provide a few obstacles like you've suggested in terms of plant matter (Fake or Real doesnt matter) BUT if real research that plant and the relations to an Lp as it could pose a threat. and why not a little piece of cark bark lol

Considering they're quite small, i would put too much thought into it!

Tcrazy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It says the LP slings are .25-.35'' so yes, quite small indeed lol. I'm going to wait until they grow up a little, then probably purchase one. (Hopefully you guys don't buy them all first). It's funny how on the two dealer sites I go to --Swifts and Jamies-- the sizes on most have been the same for a couple months. The 2.5'' striata I bought (and it is still labeled 2.5'' on her site) is now easily 3.5'' or maybe a lil bigger. Get yourself a deal and buy a pokie from her lol

@^*#^$8 i REALLY need to stop posting nonsense and get back to studying for my econ exam that is in 5 hours... :bruised:
usually its because dealers buy wholesale from a breeder or another dealer or also have several ts of the same sp that might of produced .. ts can produce 50 to 1500 eggs, usually breeders and dealers will have more than one of the same species.

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
LP slings are the best things ever. They eat everything, dead or alive. And about humidity, I suggest you (and anyone who hasn't) read this. Extremely informative.

tarantulaholic

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My large 8"+ female loves dry dirt, moist dirt and she wants out. My L. Parahybana loves to be in open, and very calm to handle (much like a B. Smithi).

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I kept my LPs substrate slightly damp when they were tiny slings, and gradually kept it dryer and dryer as they grew bigger. They have seemed to prefer dry to damp since they were about 3 inches dls. With each molt they got more defensive and fractious, to the point that I now refer to them collectively as Demon Spawn. They also did a lot of burrowing until they hit ~3 to 4 inches. Now they just reign over their individual domains.

AmysAnimals

Arachnobaron
I've noticed that in a lot of videos I've watched the LP's (full grown or nearing it) have been a little defensive. Obviously where I got my information that they weren't defensive was wrong. I'm okay with it though, I normally don't handle my T's unless I absolutely HAVE to. I know they are big hair kickers though, so I am hoping I don't have a bad reaction if I get haired.

My little guy/gal is so cute though. I can tell it's going to be a favorite of mine.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i always READ that theyre notorious hair kickers but both that ive had never kicked hairs at me ... well... lunchbox TRIED when i packed him for shipping. He was my first t and he was scary as hell to me after he matured. It took every bit of courage i had in me to put my hands in his tank to shoo him into a deli. At this time i was the worlds biggest arachnophobe too.. he was a gag gift (for the most part) that i SCREAMED at when i opened up the wrapped deli (was already about 5")........
I will tell ya though that the hairs that are lining the webbing they produce and that get kicked off into the sub felt like i played with a big piece of fiberglass insulation. Not too unbearable, but definitely annoying.

Curious jay

Arachnodemon
i always READ that theyre notorious hair kickers but both that ive had never kicked hairs at me ... well... lunchbox TRIED when i packed him for shipping. He was my first t and he was scary as hell to me after he matured. It took every bit of courage i had in me to put my hands in his tank to shoo him into a deli. At this time i was the worlds biggest arachnophobe too.. he was a gag gift (for the most part) that i SCREAMED at when i opened up the wrapped deli (was already about 5")........
I will tell ya though that the hairs that are lining the webbing they produce and that get kicked off into the sub felt like i played with a big piece of fiberglass insulation. Not too unbearable, but definitely annoying.
The only time mine kicked was unpacking it otherwise he tends to retreat into his hide if he's startled only T I've gotten a threat posture or hairs kicked from is my N.chromatus.

But yea it will become your favourite soon enough lol