Feeding amounts!

Athenas Boy

Arachnosquire
so i have an avic versi sling. shes (?) a little bit larger then a quarter only like 5-6 months old. ive heard that you should feed slings twice a week. what i usually do is throw in a dozen small-medium sized crickets and let her eat them at her leisure. she usually eats all of them in a couple days with the exception of once she didnt eat one. does this only count as once a week or since i throw a lot in there does it count as twice? i guess my question is should i do this once a week or twice? or should i completely change the way i feed her?

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
STOP DOING THAT... thats what the hated Petco's and their likes do. if its the size of a quarter, id recommend a pinhead cricket or two ONCE or TWICE (tops) a week. 2 honestly would be plenty, but 4 is powerfeeding and that is up to you. feeding her the way you are is just blatant irresponsibility if you ask me. The sling is likely stressed to high hell, and is only eating out of frustration/fear. A DOZEN crix trapped in her enclosure with a 1" (presumably) sling is un imaginable to me... letting crickets run rampant in the cage is a big risk to the life of your sling too... dont say you werent warned.

How big is your enclosure too... just curious.. post some pics for the rest of us to see please

advan

oOOo
Staff member
1-2 crickets a week, not 1-2 dozen crickets a week! Feed much, much less sir and welcome to the hobby! Pictures?

melijoc

Arachnopeon
Its funny cuz i used to dro the same with my g. Rosea. But then again it was my first t. Now i know better. This is my suggestion if you want your t sling to grow faster. KICK UP THE HEAT AND FEED IT MORE MEAT.

Jared781

Arachnobaron
Once a week, prey items the size of abdomen is a great indication... I feed my slings by sizing up the Abdomen (Which should be plump) and seeing if its larger than the carapce; If not ill throw a crickets his/her way..

^^^ This is how i go by feeding my Ts, and adding a 2-3 week indication/guide aswell! YET it all contradicts!

AmysAnimals

Arachnobaron
Oh my, that is a lot to feed a sling! I feed my 2" sling a roach once a week. It's usually the size of its abdomen or a little bit smaller. I feed my smaller t's small crickets every 4-5 days. Only one though they don't need much. As long as their butts are plump it should be fine. Not enormous though. I would take the advice from the above posters and STOP over feeding it. I'm surprised your t has not been eaten alive with all those crickets in there. Please post pics of your enclosure.

Athenas Boy

Arachnosquire
Thank you all. ill be the first to admit that yes im very new to this and any advice given will be gratefully taken and used. as well as being new to the hobby im also new to the boards and am not quite sure how to post pictures yet.. hmm. currently out of time but i will post more later. if you care enough to see them theyre on my blog www.mygirlhaseightlegs.tumblr will have to scroll down a bit but theyre there

Athenas Boy

Arachnosquire
Image04022012185546.jpg
thats a bad picture of her (?) i have the beter pics on my mac atm. you can see the sponge in her enclosure and no need to fret i took it out after a day after reading multiple threads on here advising against it. this is just an old picture

Athenas Boy

Arachnosquire
yeah this was when i was introducing her to it. she decided to jump onto my desk then climb up the side. i figured id snag a pic with my phone before she went in her home. she was out so i thought why not haha

Athenas Boy

Arachnosquire
/Users/MacBook/Desktop/IMG_0413.jpg
thats my baby nextto a quarter (duh) for reference.
/Users/MacBook/Desktop/IMG_0409.jpg
her enclosure.

P.S. before you get on me about the sponge i already took it out after reading some threads on AB. i am curious though why are they bad? and of course after getting all this stuff for her and building it she dcides to web between the card boards and lid... ugh!! haha but what are you gonna do?

---------- Post added 05-20-2012 at 01:23 AM ----------

hmm. ugh does anyone know why i cant pictures on here from my macbook?

Athenas Boy

Arachnosquire
first by replying to the thread then going advanced then clicking the add image. but that idnt work so i tried dragging the picture into the box. that also didnt work. im very frustrated right now. i have quite a few pics to put up.

---------- Post added 05-20-2012 at 01:33 AM ----------

i click reply to thread then i go advanced hen click the upload image and it wont let me upload the files for some reason. so i tried dragging them onto the box. that clearly didnt work either... ughh im so frustrated i have a few pics i really want to upload