lasiodora parahybana hissing

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The noise you are hearing is called "stridulate", but im unsure if L. parahybana are able to do this. I know alot of african and aussie Ts are able to. The only ones i see/hear doing this are my P. muticus (king baboon). They really are not hissing too. They rub the hairs on thier pedipalps and first set of legs together, and it makes a hissing sound.

mlongfoot

Arachnopeon
Yes, I understand it is stridulate, but mine did exactly that and I didn't know that this species had that characteristic.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yes, I understand it is stridulate, but mine did exactly that and I didn't know that this species had that characteristic.
Not sure if LP's have stridulation organs, but I the genus "Psalmopoeus" means translated "Psalmsinger" and they actually are able to stridulate, though I've never heard any doing that either...

Maybe post a pic of the T in question?

mlongfoot

Arachnopeon
I am a bit ignorant on how to post a pic, but it was purchased from Swift inverts as an LP. I will tease it a little again with a paint brush (in time) and see if it is a recurring thing.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I am a bit ignorant on how to post a pic, but it was purchased from Swift inverts as an LP. I will tease it a little again with a paint brush (in time) and see if it is a recurring thing.
Uhm, don't! Prodding a T continuously is stress for the animal and doesn't help. If you got it from Swifts, I'm pretty sure it IS an LP. Leaves the question about the stridulation...no idea since I don't own one of those. Others might be able to shed some light onto this...

B00

Arachnopeon
I have noticed mine will make a "scratchy" noise when agitated. It's not very loud, sound kinda like rubbing a toothbrush with your thumb. She only makes it when she's walking quickly to respond to something that's irritating her (usually me cleaning up).

Last edited: