Euathlus sp. - "Chilean Flame Rump" help

Phlerr

Arachnoknight
Hey all I was contemplating getting this sp. but I haven't been able to find out much about how to care for them. And yes I've tried using the search function but my mojo is weak. Does anyone have any experience good or bad with em? From what I've read on the seller's website, they're "supposed" to be a pretty docile and hardy species. I've never had dwarf T's before but as I said before any words of wisdom on this particular species would be greatly appreciated.

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
They do fine kept on bone dry substrate (I use coco coir) at temperatures around 22-26°C, make sure they have enough substrate to dig if they want to and I also give mine a small water dish. Temperament wise they're quite chilled out, lovely little species to keep.

Phlerr

Arachnoknight
They do fine kept on bone dry substrate (I use coco coir) at temperatures around 22-26°C, make sure they have enough substrate to dig if they want to and I also give mine a small water dish. Temperament wise they're quite chilled out, lovely little species to keep.
Well what you said reinforces what I've read so that's good, except the burrowing part. If anyone else has anything to add feel free to chime in. I wonder what the life spans are for dwarf T's? I know they vary from sp. to sp. but it was just something I was curious about.

peterUK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I keep them the same as a Chile rose, a very easy spider to keep.

billopelma

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Not sure about life span but I've had one for about 6 years now so I know they can go that long. I keep mine with a moist side in the enclosure and she hangs out there quite a bit so doesn't have any aversion to wetness. She does excavate a lot of dirt and changes things around a lot.

Bill

Curious jay

Arachnodemon
Same setup as above keep mine dry with a water bowl occasionally giving a 1/3rd of the tank a little dampening. Mine is highly active anytime I open the tank for maintenance it will without fail walk out of the tank onto my hand extremely docile occosionally acting skittish and flicks a few hairs. I'd highly recommend one. I keep mine in a large flat faunarium with 2 cork bark tubes semi buried in about 4 inches of sub, she utilises the whole tank often shifting dirt to dump in her water bowl great feeder too.

High_Rolling_T

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Bill, you're the first person I've seen(other than myself) to advocate a moist side of the enclosure. Mine hangs out there quite often as well

OP, this species is absolutely wonderful to keep. Good looking, easy care, extremely docile temperment(of course there are always individuals with temoperments), great colors. I was never really into dwarf species until I saw one in person and had to have it. It quickly became one of my favorite species. Mine you can poke, prod, direct, and handle all you want without the slightest care in the world(I don't, but I have no hesitation doing so if need be knowing her as I do). I have done a lot of research on this species and have NEVER heard once about one that wasn't docile and wond3erful to keep.

Id suggest keeping one sode of the enclosure mosit and believe that bone dry is not the best way to keep them. As far as burrowing, mine has always been one to move dirt all over and dig around. However, it is out 90% anbd it is not uncommon to catch her moving a4round her cage doing this or that.

Phlerr

Arachnoknight
Ya know hearing all the positive attributes about this T makes me wonder why it's not more popular with enthusiasts. Me personally I can't wait to get a few. I just really love that velvety black color it has on most of its body.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
All Euathlus can be kept exactly like any other Brachypelma usually. They don't demand much. Some may dig a little, some accept an offered hideout even. They don't like damp susbtrate too much, but so far my pulcherimaklaasi does well with just overflowing the waterdish when refilling it.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, this "dwarf species" thing about the Euathlus spec. "flame / red / whatnot" is kinda wrong IMO. They do get to about 4" - dwarf species seldomly get over 2"-2,5" really as far as I'm aware. Either way, that species is considered one of the most docile species out there, some say even more docile than the PZB! I have yet to acquire one of those for myself, but I'm still out looking for one. Currently only owning one member of the genus, the pulcherimaklaasi, ("Pichidangui Blue Beauty / Femur" is the common name) and those are skittish and behave more like G. rosea (meaning you -could- come across a rather defensive one) - but that isn't the case with the E. spec. "fire".

Last edited:

Tarac

Arachnolord
EDIT: I forgot to mention, this "dwarf species" thing about the Euathlus spec. "flame / red / whatnot" is kinda wrong IMO. They do get to about 4" - dwarf species seldomly get over 2"-2,5" really as far as I'm aware.
It is a "dwarf" by those standards, mine is barely 2.5" and is a mature female. They are significantly smaller than E. "pulcherrimaklaasi," I have both (the blue femur is also a mature female, closer to 4.5-5"). I estimate that the BF is at least 2x the weight of E. sp red, probably more. The blue femur is also nippy, the red is the most relaxed T I own. I also don't understand why they aren't better represented in the hobby, perhaps something challenging about breeding? At any rate, E. sp red/yellow/orange/flame/whatever is the premier beginner T in my opinion. Not fast, not mean, not picky and very attractive.

Curious jay

Arachnodemon
It is a "dwarf" by those standards, mine is barely 2.5" and is a mature female. They are significantly smaller than E. "pulcherrimaklaasi," I have both (the blue femur is also a mature female, closer to 4.5-5"). I estimate that the BF is at least 2x the weight of E. sp red, probably more. The blue femur is also nippy, the red is the most relaxed T I own. I also don't understand why they aren't better represented in the hobby, perhaps something challenging about breeding? At any rate, E. sp red/yellow/orange/flame/whatever is the premier beginner T in my opinion. Not fast, not mean, not picky and very attractive.
I agree my E.sp 'red' is mature and around 2.5" also Whereas my E. trunculentus is about 4-4.5" mature.

I'd also recommend this as a 1st T I mean mines kicked hairs once but barely and that was when I was trying to stop her walking off when taking pictures, by far the most active T I own, as soon as the tank lid is off she walks straight out onto my hand with no issues. Great feeders too.

Edit: as for breeding someone correct me if I'm wrong, I think I read they need 2 cool down periods to make a successful eggsack? Maybe wrong information though.

Last edited:

Phlerr

Arachnoknight
I've been able to find only 1 site that sells this sp. as CB slings and a couple adults. The other site one some but they're WC long term captives. Me personally I prefer CB, I don't know how anyone else feels about this its just my preference. My problem is I only have that 1 site and was wondering if anyone out there knew of any websites that has this sp. for sale, Id really appreciate it. Thanx everybody.

Phlerr

Arachnoknight
Check out Jamie's site. She has them on sale!
Jamie's site is one site I'm actually talking about that has the CB Euathlus's. I'll probably end up up buying from her, I was just wondering if there were any other sites out there that sold em. The sites have eluded me........for now ;)

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
I'd also recommend this as a 1st T I mean mines kicked hairs once but barely and that was when I was trying to stop her walking off when taking pictures, by far the most active T I own, as soon as the tank lid is off she walks straight out onto my hand with no issues. Great feeders too.
that's exactly what mine does, too. she's just the friendliest t one could ask for.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I agree my E.sp 'red' is mature and around 2.5" also Whereas my E. trunculentus is about 4-4.5" mature.

Edit: as for breeding someone correct me if I'm wrong, I think I read they need 2 cool down periods to make a successful eggsack? Maybe wrong information though.
I'd sign the 1st T = E. spec. "red/flame" 100% - it's very underrated in the hobby (still looking for one) and regarding your "cool down period" question: I don't know regarding that particular species, but I know that the german board I was a member of before, suggested all kind of stuff like that, even with G. rosea should NEVER be kept on "bonedry" T, (they went as far as saying NO T should EVER be kept that way) - so unless you have the information from trustworthy sources, I'd very much question that...