Awesome Experience!!

oldmanofthesea

Arachnoknight
I have read many times about using "black lights" on scorpion hunts to make them easier to see but have never seen the effect. I ordered a black light flash light and it arrived today. When I lit up my c. hentzi aquarium, I was amazed at the effect. I knew that a couple of my females had given birth, but there were babies everywhere. It was just way too cool!!! The way all of the c. vitattus and the emperors glowed was amazing. I know you are not supposed to use the lights for extended periods of time, but it is a cool way to take a quick inventory of the enclosures. Ron

Mamisha-X

Arachnosquire
I just got my black light flashlight (from ken) yesterday as well. my boyfriend and I decided to collect scorpions last night and we found at least 15 in one hour. those lights are truly amazing! you should bring it out into the field sometime and go scorpion hunting. my boyfriend isn't really into insects but the light is so much fun he was out with it most of the night even when i was all done and ready to go to bed haha.

2nscorpx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It is also interesting to see the change between juveniles (which do not fluoresce relatively brightly) and adults with fully developed cuticles...certainly that is a nice experience! How many other animals do you see that glow?:)

oldmanofthesea

Arachnoknight
I have to do some research to see if I can find out why this happens. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Ron

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Insects? Go wash your mouth:D

Verstuurd van mijn GT-I9001 met Tapatalk

LLLReptile

Arachnopeon
From what I've read it basically seems to be because the two compounds that I'm aware of (Beta carboline and 7-hydroxy-4-methylcoumarin) that cause scorpions to fluoresce are developing/becoming present as the emergent scorpion's cuticle hardens. Interestingly, Stahnke discovered that a scorpion frozen and lyophilized prior to it's cuticle hardening after molt never becomes fluorescent.

Cheers,
Dean
LLLReptile & Supply Company, Inc.
http://www.LLLreptile.com
1-888-54-Reptile (toll free)

Last edited: