Lighting

juv48

Arachnopeon
Hi there i've kept a desert hairy for around 3months, I was wondering if the light you use to heat the tank makes a difference on the scorps activity.

What i mean is would the scorpion be more active if i used a red light than if i use a normal reflector? do you think the scorp would be more active?

All the other conditions for it are fine.

Any Ideas?? thanks

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Here's my theory on the matter:

IMO/IME the use of white/normal lighting as a heat source during the day provides a day/night cycle that is more natural than no lighting. The light along with the heat from the light allows/causes the scorpion to behave in a more natural way than it would if there were no lighting.

That said...they do not require lighting to survive.

I use normal everyday light bulbs in a reflector lamp you can get at a hardware store for $5US. I change over to compact fluorescents in the summer when the house warms and little heat is needed. (People in the UK and other parts of N. Europe need to realize that summers in Colorado are probably much warmer than where you are and need to adjust accordingly).

I put my lights on a timer so that they come on at about 7:30 am and go off at about 10:30. The heat remaining slowly cools off over a few hours as it would at night in a natural environment thus providing the correct environmental ques for the scorpion to behave more closely to what it would in the wild.

John

Last edited: