mouth discharge, the bad kind.....

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
she was alive when i made these pics, just put her in the freezer.

Angelo

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
oh man that sucks, and i sorry about your loss. but if you dont mind me asking, how do tarantulas get nematodes in the first place?:?

Last edited:

Jakob

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That sucks...what species is this?

Also, I couldn't find out what my G. pulchra had so I just labeled it as nematodes, however, >>>THIS<<< doesn't look like nematodes, but more like Philadelphia cream cheese. It did have a foul odor to it and I was cleaning her daily, she died eventually.

Later,

Jake

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
the white mass is in fact in motion, they are small worms, you can see them move with the bare eye.

what species? i think Aphonopelma spec or B. verdezi (more known as B. pallidum or A. pallidum)

Ultimate Instar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Eddy,

Sorry about your loss. Are these the same nematodes used to control agricultural pests? And do you think that a fine-mesh screen would provide any protection against phorid flies? I know the flies are very small and difficult to guard against.

Karen N.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I have managed to avoid nematodes so far (knocking on wood). I have seen some small irritating flies occasionally in my spider room though. I'm wondering how the spider would get infected this way?
I'm also wondering if I possibly have not seen a nematode infection here because I don't feed crickets???

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by Immortal_sin
I'm also wondering if I possibly have not seen a nematode infection here because I don't feed crickets???
It's a possibility, at this point it isn't known exactly how these entomopathogenic nematodes propogate from physically isolated Ts, but crickets are an *excellent* host of them.

xalbinox

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You know by keeping a small glass 1/4 of the way full of vinegar any where around your T's terrarium it keeps all nematode carrying flies away such as fruit flies, swat flies, and also ordinary house flies they are attracted to the vinegar and killed by the fumes thus eliminating nematode dangers.:)

P.S. Sorry for your loss

bodisky

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by Code Monkey
It's a possibility, at this point it isn't known exactly how these entomopathogenic nematodes propogate from physically isolated Ts, but crickets are an *excellent* host of them.
Agreed. No evidence to my knowledge of phorids transmitting nematodes. Crickets are excellent suspects.
At this point it is hard to say if they are the nematodes sold for agricultural pest control.
We have had limited success with a treatment of Cipro using DMSO as a piggy back carrier. I am treating one T now. So far she has survived longer but has not resumed eating although she does not look starved. She drinks water as normally as the other T's. I have tried this same treatment on other afflicted T's and it failed miserably. However by the time I received the T's the condition was well advanced. Honestly I think the treatment needs to be a combination of antibiotics and antihelmenthics. Its just that the latter is harder on the T.
Gotta run, foal coming tonight...
Kerry
RIESM

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
thanks...I'm sorry I was clear as mud. I knew that crickets were suspected, but had NOT heard the phorid fly theory. Perhaps it was discussed on a thread I didn't see.
If so, or if it was discussed on Arachnid World, please let me know, as I'm attempting to read everything I can get my hands on on the nematode problem...

-=}GA']['OR{=-

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
When did all this nematode B.S. start?I've been in this hobby for 6yrs and this year is the first i've heard of this.If crickets are carriers of these worms,there has to be a common denominator.For example the people who have the most probs with this,are they getting their crix from the same supplier?

metzgerzoo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
"For example the people who have the most probs with this,are they getting their crix from the same supplier?"

Highly unlikely seeing as how this has popped up all over the world. I haven't had a problem with nematodes either (knocking on wood with Immortal_sin) but I don't feed mine crickets anymore either. I feed mine roaches, worms and pinky mice (for the ones big enough) and have had no problems.

bodisky

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by asteroth
When did all this nematode B.S. start?I've been in this hobby for 6yrs and this year is the first i've heard of this.If crickets are carriers of these worms,there has to be a common denominator.For example the people who have the most probs with this,are they getting their crix from the same supplier?
Hello!
We have been documenting cases for the last 5 years. There may be others that have seen it for longer, not sure.
Same supplier has not been verified. Hobbyists get their crickets from all kinds of places. Pet shops commonly change their suppliers during price fluctuations. Subsequently this is very hard to nail down. Also, nematodes infest many other insects, hence their use in pest control. There are many other worms that use animals for hosts such as mice. Tapeworms commonly infest mice. I have found tapeworm pieces in and around the mouth area of large T's after they have fed on pinkies or adult mice. So far this is not detrimental to the T. They just need to brush their teeth after such a meal. HA! (I have been up for two days waiting on a foal that has yet to come, sorry..)
Anyway, I wish this nematode discovery was B.S. but it isnt and its a horrible death for a T.
Kerry
RIESM

Guy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Although crickets are a possible carrier, phorid flies are more likely to spread the microscopic worm larvae and/or eggs from tank to tank due to their habits. More often than not, these worms come into a collection from a wild caught specimen and if phorid flies are present in the area, the worms can quickly spread throughout an entire collection...

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
you can take some measures:
keep tanks dry
remove all food left overs

Guy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi Karen,
When I had a major nematode problem a couple of years back, there was lots of phorid flies present. My only course of action was to totally clean out every tank and rehouse them with vermiculite (not a small task for over 200 spiders). But since then I have been nematode and phorid fly free. Mesh screening would help but, as anyone who has had phorid fly problems will tell you, as soon as you open the spiders tank, the flies will enter. Prevention is definitely the answer, sticky fly paper is essential during the summer months and checking any new arrivals for nematodes and phorid flies. Removing uneaten prey is essential too, especially if you're using pinkie mice or meat of any sort. Most of my spiders are back on compost/peat mix and doing well...

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi,

the worst case I have ever seen (and photographed):

BTW, some articles with some informations about nematodes:
  • PIZZI, R., L. CARTA & S. GEORGE (2003): Oral nematode infection of tarantulas. The Veterinary Record: 695.
  • PIZZI, R., L. CARTA, G. TANSLEY, R. GABRIEL & A. MATTHEWS (2003): An Update on Oral Nematodes of Tarantulas. British Tarantula Society Journal 19(1): 27-28.
  • SCHNEIDER, F. (2004): »Schaum vorm Maul«, ein alt bekannter Vogelspinnenparasit und seine Folgen. ARACHNE 9(2): 4-11.
  • ŠPITZER, L. (2003): Danger from leaf litter. Sklípkan 8(3): 94 & 107.
  • TANSLEY, G. (2003): Nematodes Worms and Tarantulas. British Tarantula Society Journal 18(4): 118-122.
  • VERDEZ, J.-M. & F. CLÉTON (2003): Thrigmopoeus truculentus, Pocock 1899. DeArGe Mitteilungen 8(4): 20-26.

all the best,
Martin