Dangerously long molt?

Kris M

Arachnopeon
So I went to mist my slings last night and notice my A. versi was in the middle of a molt.
At this point I opted to leave it alone and not bother spraying/soaking the sub.
Now, tonight I go down to spray it and remove the molt... which is not done.
The lil guy is still alive, and appears to be struggling. So being human I panicked and opened the container and decided to soak the sub and spray the walls.
Now I know upping the humidity at this point is pretty much pointless, but I couldn't help myself.
Through this process I spooked the sling and he began to move to a different spot, all the while dragging his molt along with him.
From what I can tell at least 4-6 legs are out, and the abdomen and possibly carapace are out. To me it looks like the front 2 legs might be out as well.
It really looks like his "face" is stuck in there, which makes me assume it's the pedipalps that are stuck.
I have absolutely zero experience with bad molts, so far everything with my spiders has gone well.

I should add that this sling is only 1/2" or so. It's pretty small

How screwed is the poor thing? What can I do to help at this point?

Thank you in advanced.

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
How long has it been trying to moult for?

If it's more than 24 hours you may try to lubricate the joints where it is stuck with water and a paint brush and if all else fails use tweezers to attempt to pull the exuvium off of the body of the T.

Doesn't sound like it's that bad if 6 legs are out.

Kris M

Arachnopeon
The molt is coming on 24hours.
Also I just double checked to see what I could see.
It looks to me like all 8 legs are out, the abdomen is completely out.
It really looks like the "face" is the part that is stuck.

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'd wait, Ts can go along time with out eating, and the lungs are on the abdomen, so if it ends up that the "face" is stuck you can attempt to loosen it with water and then pull the exuvium (spelling on that word?) off.

Zoomer428

Arachnosquire
The molt is coming on 24hours.
Also I just double checked to see what I could see.
It looks to me like all 8 legs are out, the abdomen is completely out.
It really looks like the "face" is the part that is stuck.
It sounds good as long as legs and abdomen are out and part of carapace. Id say wait 24 hours if hes still stuck lube the joints or face as you say it and up the humidity if its low and id either wait at that point or try to help him out at that points which is a last decision in my book

Quazgar

Arachnoknight
24 hours for a small sling sounds like too long. Add another almost 10 since your last post and I'd say if it still isn't free you probably want to try to help, just know you may make it worse. From my understanding, it is rare for any T of any size to take a full 24 hours after it starts to pop out to finish molting (though I could be wrong with this).

Kris M

Arachnopeon
Sling is still stuck... still alive and moving but stuck.

From what I can see it must be the pedipalps or the fangs.

I tried wetting the stuck area with a wet paintbrush.

Not sure what else I could do to help.

---------- Post added 06-03-2012 at 02:02 PM ----------

Well I just came back from another check up.
I attempted to wet the area a bit again, and I scared him so much he ripped right out of his molt.
I now have a 7legged versicolor with no pedipals.
The fangs are out, so that's a bonus. However I did notice what appears to be a droplet of clear liquid where the 8th leg socket it.
I know spiders can survive without limbs, but is the clear liquid something to worry me?
Also will it still be able to eat with fangs but no pedipalps, of course I will only be offering it pre-killed from this point on if it survive

Zoomer428

Arachnosquire
Thats taranyula blood the clear stuff.... Ive heard you can superglur it or put some cornstarch on it or flower i think but they will regrow their pedipalps within a couple molts which should come fast

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
zoomer is correct. If the bleeding has stopped by now just leave it be.. As long as its got its fangs it will eat... Powerfeed it and keep it warm/humid (obviously lol) and it will molt again in no time.. it should be completely back to normal within 2 molts id imagine

Kris M

Arachnopeon
That's great news, the bleeding has stopped from what I can see. I believe it was just the initial droplet from when he ripped it off. There was no blood near the sockets for the pedipalps.
He/she is moving around and appears to be okay considering.
I keep the room at 75f, and I'll be sure to keep it nice and humid.

Glad to hear he should be okay! :)

Kris M

Arachnopeon
So I found it dead tonight. Was fine last night and I was actually pretty hopeful about this.
It was hanging with one leg attached to some webbing and the rest just hanging, legs all crippled.