retreat and water question

Aragog fan

Arachnopeon
A newbie here! First of all, thank you all for the great advice that is posted...more helpful than books. After years of nagging my family and reading books, I finally got my first T (2"rosie, name is Octavia). Everything is great...I keep the humitity between 40 and 50%, 70-75 degrees. There is a water bowl, but I have never seen her drink from it. Should I be worried? I don't want her to dry out. Also, I placed a arched log that fits in the corner for a retreat. If I put black paper behind the corner for darkness, she hides in there and won't come out even for crickets (she waits until they go in), but if I take the paper off and light comes in, she perches on the log or hangs out around it. Which is better for her? I want her to feel secure and she doesn't seem stressed. I'm a really overprotective mom and I want the best for her! Oh yes...she eats like I starve her...which I don't! P.S. After her next molt, I'll know if she is Octavia or Octavius!

xanderTluv

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey friend welcome,
Sounds to me like your doing alright! Your little rosie would feel better with a place to hide, T's are more comfortable in the dark! And Im sure she gets a drink when your not looking, but if not it's there for her when she needs it. Just keep it full, even if you don't think she is drinking it. And rosies are strange when it comes to eating, they will eat like pigs for months, and then for no apparent reason stop for months. There is a post called a sticky at the top of the forum list, the post is named "Rose Hair Owners Please Read! How to REALLY take care of your G.rosea" It has a great deal of info to help answer your questions.

Hope this helps!

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Since it has a hide either way, I'd go with what you like best (I'm guessing paperless). I've not noticed any difference in evident levels of stress between Ts who's hides are darkened versus ones where I can see them against the container side. If your spider really wants it dark it will do like my one agoraphobic C. fasciatum does and wall up any exposed areas with web and substrate.

As for the water dish, they're not dogs, I'm not sure how often Ts drink but it's not very often. You may go months if not years and never see a T drink but rest assured they are. The issue is to make sure that water is available regularly (I don't subscribe to the full all the time school of thought, too much labor) and they will get what they need. Myself, I just fill dishes once a week.

luther

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Seeing your T drinking is pretty damn rare. Don't fret, particularly if the individual is eating at least once a year. Or two if it's a rosie.