i swear my cobalt blue thinks its semi arboreal

StonyJ

Arachnopeon
my cobalt is always chilling on the wall in the corners of the tank and today when i can home its chilling out on a little tree i made. if this is a problem then i really need help because its been doing this for like 2 weeks, only going in its hole once and a while

so its a 5 gal. tank i use eco earth sub. witch goes from 4-3 inch
i have a starter tunnel in the 4inch dirt made from bark i glued together.
she has dug in it and made Tons of web in it. i have 3 fake plants. a little water dish. i dont really moist the sub. usually just flood water dish.
oh and shes about 3inch. if need any more info plz tell

Last edited:

8legs2fangs

Arachnopeon
and my A. Avic thinks its terrestrial! she wont use her cork round unless its horizonatal:p just comes to show that every T is diff in its own way right??

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
H. lividum (a fossorial sp.) prowling around in a tank normally is due to a housing issue. can you give a picture or a detailed description of the setup its in?

edit: from the looks of your PM it probably needs more sub and the sub might be too moist. i personally have not kept H. lividum but this may be beneficial to read. specifically hobo and moltar's posts. also, i think the idea Haplopelma needed more humidity was dispelled here.

maybe someone more experienced with their acclimation time will chime in :)

Last edited:

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
my cobalt is always chilling on the wall in the corners of the tank and today when i can home its chilling out on a little tree i made. if this is a problem then i really need help because its been doing this for like 2 weeks, only going in its hole once and a while...
Sorry I'm so late responding to your post. Been traveling.

Read Haplopeolma keeps climbing... for some possible insight.

Also, read Spinnen in der Natur - Thailand. Scroll down the page and read the captions to the photos. Do you notice that they live in hard packed, dry dirt? They're NOT rain forest tarantulas!

Lastly, read Substrate for some additional pointers. Note that tarantulas insist on firmly packed substrate. They abhor loose, fluffy stuff that moves under their "feet," or that they sink into. Pack it hard! You may even have to mix a little garden loam with your substrate to firm it up. Start with one part by volume of loam to 3 parts by volume of your favorite substrate. Mix it and test it. Don't be afraid to add more loam if you need to in order to make your substrate firm enough to allow solid footing and a stable burrow.

If you can find organic loam at a health food or "natural and organic" store it's better because of the low pesticide load. If not, serviceable loam is available at most garden and landscaping supplies as well as the garden departments of the larger building supplies.

Try a deeper layer of substrate, 1.5 to 2 times the tarantula's DLS.

As "malevolentrobot" said, we need to see photos. "We LUVS pichers!" They save so many words and so many wrong impressions! And maybe we can see something that's wrong that you wouldn't even suspect would be a problem.

Enjoy your little, 8-legged, screaming banshee!