Votes: 14 22.6%
  • Exclusively Old World species

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • A mix of New and Old

Votes: 45 72.6%

• Total voters

Zeph

Arachnosquire
Personally, I'm a beginner to the hobby (had some docile adults as a kid) with only five slings under my belt. All are New World, I'm weary of the venom of the Old World species. I was wondering if acquiring Old World species comes naturally with more experience in the hobby, or if hobbyists can be perfectly happy owning New World species exclusively?

AmysAnimals

Arachnobaron
I think it all depends on what you like. Do you like feistiness? A lot of OW are feisty. I think people can be perfectly happy owning all NW species but if you want like a certain species that is OW and you really want it of course you should get it. With the proper research and caution of course. I have all NW species right now and can't get any OW yet since my parents objected. But when I move out that will change. Ive got my eye on a couple species I like.

rockhopper

Arachnosquire
NW or OW doesn't make a difference to me. I have both and don't really plan on getting bitten by either. I usually just go after whatever T interests me at the time. My B vagans is one of my feistiest Ts, much more 'aggressive' then say my P ornata or regalis who would much rather run and hide then come out to 'play'.

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's entirely possible to keep only NW. If you really want OW, preparation is key. By preparation I mean keeping NW species, becoming very familiar with their behaviors and husbandry techniques that are helpful with more defensive individuals, and research (particularly their behavior and effects of envenomation). Finally, a realistic evaluation of your personal situation to determine if OW species are appropriate is necessary. For example, if you are living near young children, make sure there is absolutely no possibility that they can reach your tarantula collection. If that's not possible, then I would encourage anyone not to get OW species. Finally, if you are interested in taking the plunge but are unsure if you are ready, get a nice intermediate species, such as a Psalmopoeus. They are extremely fast and can be defensive. In short, they are very much like most OW arboreals, but lack the extremely painful venom. If you have no trouble raising one of those, you should be ok with just about anything.

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
jayefbe nailed it. I agree completely.
I voted exclusively New World as that was, and is, my intent. However i recently purchased a tarantula lot and in it was a H. lividum and H. albostriatum. I had fully planned on reselling them, along with the rest of the lot. But I just love the H. albostriatum, and will be keeping her. And who knows, maybe some time in the future I may get more Old Wolrds (maybe).

Jared781

Arachnobaron
It all comes down to personal preference and opinions... and what is more "intriguing" so to speak..

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The main factor for me is urticating hairs. I seemed to become over sensitised to them a few years ago and got rid of all my NW spiders, with the exception of my first ever spider (my female G.rosea, captive bred and now almost 20 years old)

Keeping OW spiders started off as a necessity, but has now become my niche interest. If I could stop my urticating issues I'd be out there tomorrow buying breeding stock of Theraphosa and Xenesthis species, I'm only disinterested in them through necessity.

Zeph

Arachnosquire
That's too bad about your sensitivity to the hairs. I'd love to gain more experience and then try for an H. lividum, except I'm planning on starting a family sometime in the near future so I'd have to put an OW species on a high shelf. I'd also have to be honest with my husband about the venom, and he probably wouldn't be comfortable with it. I think I can be perfectly happy with only NW species, but some of the OW are almost too enticing.

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If you would like a relatively "safe" Asian burrowing species, then I can recommend Haplopelma longipes. I have been keeping these for about 10 years and have seen very little aggression from them when kept in the right conditions (especially compared to the feistier species like Haplopelma vonwirthi or Haplopelma lividum)

stooka

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi Leon,by right conditions to do you mean cereal tubs full of peat and the burrow started at the front etc?im guessing you use this setup?just out of interest really.Keeping on topic,i prefer OW these days as i also react badly to the urticating hairs.I just feel i dont need that anymore these days.I have a few NWs but the majority are OW.

stu

stooka

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
HI,i thought as much.its definetly the way to keep them for sure.Thanks

Marsellus

Arachnopeon
I have both NW and OW species. In my opinion the OW isnt so hard if you know what and especialy how to do and how care for them. I had my first OW after 1 month in hobby and it wasn't stupid. I really want it and i got it. But I am still very careful with them because of my and especialy their safety.

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The main factor for me is urticating hairs. I seemed to become over sensitised to them a few years ago and got rid of all my NW spiders, with the exception of my first ever spider (my female G.rosea, captive bred and now almost 20 years old)

Keeping OW spiders started off as a necessity, but has now become my niche interest. If I could stop my urticating issues I'd be out there tomorrow buying breeding stock of Theraphosa and Xenesthis species, I'm only disinterested in them through necessity.
I'm starting to gain some appreciation for this viewpoint. I don't remember urticating hairs bothering me to the degree that they do now. I avoid handling so hopefully this won't become more of an issue.

Finally, if you are interested in taking the plunge but are unsure if you are ready, get a nice intermediate species, such as a Psalmopoeus. They are extremely fast and can be defensive. In short, they are very much like most OW arboreals, but lack the extremely painful venom. If you have no trouble raising one of those, you should be ok with just about anything.
Right on jayefbe. I love me some Psalmopoeus.

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I had originally planned on sticking almost exclusively to NW, but about 8 months ago, my interest started to shift a little. I think I'm about half and half at this point and will probably end up with a lot more OW than NW, especially if I manage to breed my H. villosella. African Ts are some of my favorites :D

Last edited:

Bugmom

Arachnolord
I've only had NW. Never had one behave aggressively, kick hairs at me, or be anything but docile. When that's your experience, and you are use to a T that you can take out of the tank and hold, the OW look really intimidating, because they seem to be the most aggressive and least docile. Not saying that's true for every OW species, just the general feeling I get.

Deguwitchrose

Arachnopeon
I like a mixture because the interaction varies so greatly. It would be irresponsible for me to handle my OWs and I've got a couple of NWs who wouldn't want me to either and I
respect that but I also have two NWs who really like some gentle handling. I like having different types of relationships with my Ts.

JohnDapiaoen

Arachnobro
Old Timer
I have both, but old worlds strongly outnumber the new worlds in my collection.

-JohnD.

Last edited:

gobey

Arachnoknight
I have 9 NW and 7 OW.

Only 2 of my NW are docile. Not counting the 4 B. albopilosum slings. They're too small to really be aggressive or defensive toward me yet.

Most of my OW are pretty easy to work around actually. Let the T know you're there. Let it retreat to it's hide. Block off hide if possible. Perform maintenance. Only the 2 OBT slings are a pain. They don't hide. They run around these web trampolines they live in attached to the deli cup lids. It's a horrible thing. The adult OBT is easier to work with.

I'll probably be adding 2 more NW slings to my collection should this breeding project work out. Little semi dwarf Ts Euathlus parvulus. I want to keep 4. But really should only keep 2.

I like a few OW Ts. Mostly baboons and poecs though. I have no interest in burrowers. I only recently put the horned baboons on my wishlist for years down the road.

My big 4 wishlist ts. C marshalli and darlingi, P. metallica, B. emilia! But again.... For either years down the road. Or maybe for when I can trade and downsize my collection when I have some of my Ts sexed and my favorites figured out. 18 tarantulas is honestly more than I wanted.... It's because I kept buying 2 of each. And because B. albos come with every order. lol

Last edited: