Heating a book shelf

TweedMcQueen

Arachnopeon
Hey all, got a heating question for you. Now I know that Ts do not normally require much, if anything, in the way of heating and I am kind of loathe to do it at all, but I kind of think I may need to. Previously I and my Ts stayed in a small room in the house and it was pretty easy to keep them at about 75 degrees, generally closer to 80 during the day when I was at work and had the fans shut down etc. This was partially accomplished by situating the bookcase I use to house them over the only air vent in the room, thus blocking off the air conditioning. After that it was easy to regulate temps for both me and them by using a fan. The room was tiny and it just worked out. Not so much fun for me and my girlfriend to live in though due to the cramped quarters.

So, bearing all that in mind, we recently moved into a much much larger room in the house. It is a second living room that we converted to a bedroom. It could probably be used as an efficiency apartment all on it's own. We have gone from one air vent to three, plus two more windows and a ceiling fan. The room is fantastic, it is like living in a palace compared to our old digs. BUT it is a LOT harder to regulate the temperature. Made even more so by the fact that we can't go turn off the air whenever we feel like it because we have roommates in the rest of the house.

So that's the background. Again, I know tarantulas are hardy and the general rule is that they will be ok in temperatures that we are comfy in. But I know they were thriving in that 75-80 range and I haven't been able to get it much better than 72 in the new room and it generally stays down around 68-70. So here, at long last, is my question: Should I attempt to heat the bookcase I house my Ts in? If so, how?

I have thought of a couple possibilities. One way would be a little ceramic heater that I could point at the bookcase from a distance to just kind of raise the air temperature in that general area. Another I guess would be to install very low watt heat lights on the tops of the shelves above the enclosures so that it would heat all the area beneath, again, very low watt and not directly on the enclosures to raise the air temp and avoid desication. Do those ideas sound decent? Any other ideas? Do I even need to bother? I should also mention that the majority of my collection are slings. Thanks in advance everyone.

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
In my opinion, the best method would be to use heat tape lining the back wall of the bookshelf. Be sure to use a good thermostat with a failsafe shutoff if temps get too high. Heat tape is better as it won't dry the air as much, and provides a more uniform temperature rather than a single hot spot. Or, an even better solution, is to get a oil-filled space heater and heat the entire room. That's what I do if I have the option.

TweedMcQueen

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the suggestion. I don't have any experience with heat tape, I will have to read up on it. So are you of the opinion some additional heating is needed then?

rockhopper

Arachnosquire
I wouldn't personally worry about heating it. I've always kept mine at room temperature without issue.

rockhopper

Arachnosquire
Let me guess. You're in the south? :wink:
Right now yes, but I've lived all over the US and have never worried about adding any heat apart from what I use for heat myself whether that be a space heater or central heating.

Curious jay

Arachnodemon
I live in the UK I only use a small tubular 60w heater in the winter which comes on every other hour from 6am-10pm keeps my room around 19-22 degrees, my temps currently without heating stay around 18-20 degrees with a drop too about 16 over night. I've had no issues. From research and other users on this forum it was said that a large majority of Ts will thrive at any temperature your comfortable without having to wear extra clothing. (I'm not sure that just made sense I'm extremely tired lol).

TweedMcQueen

Arachnopeon
CuriousJay, thanks for the perspective. What species have you kept at that temp? Like I said in my original post, I know that Ts are very hardy and adaptable and the rule of thumb is if i'm comfy they are comfy. But when I am comfy most other people think it is freezing haha. I have been monitoring their behavior and everything seems to be ok. I know the TKG mentions higher temps possibly promoting a faster growth rate though.

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Right now yes, but I've lived all over the US and have never worried about adding any heat apart from what I use for heat myself whether that be a space heater or central heating.
I guess it's just me. I like to open windows in the dead of winter every now and then. I don't think my Ts would like that if they weren't in a heated cabinet.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
You could do that. With a thermostat set to a correct temp. You could also put the flexwatt on a board, then sit it on the back of the shelf, then slide the tanks against it. You should also pickup a temp gun. That way you can easily see the temps, and adjust them.

TweedMcQueen

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the ideas man. I turned on a little ceramic heater as an experiment. I set it on another shelf and pointed it towards the bookshelf and it has raised the temp about 3 degrees in that part of the room. That is just a temporary fix though. I don't have any experience with flexwatt or other heat tape type stuff so that will be new to me if I go that route. Thermostats I have used before though. It definitely sounds better than trying to install lighting in the book shelf, especially since I want to avoid using lights with my Ts.

Will the flexwatt on the board and the enclosures moved back against it work with odd shaped enclosures? My sling enclosures are home made(or at least home modified) and range from round to square.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yeah it will work. Flexwatt is as thin as thick paper. It is kinda like plastic paper. It has elements running through it like a car rear window.