A. Versicolor.

isolation

Arachnopeon
i want to add a a. versicolor to my collection but i heard about the SADS. my Q is, is it really hard to raise a a.versicolor? does the so called phenomenom SADS happen frequently? please share your experiences and thoughts. im from the philippines by the way, a tropical country. thanks!

jwlp

Arachnopeon
Like you, I was a little concerned with all the talk about raising Avics as slings. So far from my experience I find that keeping adequate ventilation and observing humidity requirements (mist every few days if you notice the substrate is dry), you will be fine. Whether in a vial or bigger enclosure, I would suggest holes in the very top of the lid, the top half of the vial/enclosure, and finally more holes right above the substrate. I find that this allows maximum ventilation along with avoiding possible mold issues. To date my Avics are happy and healthy with no signs of trouble (eating and molting like champs).

I will tell you this, Arboreal Ts, but more importantly Avics require a little more attention as slings. If you follow the few simple steps mentioned, you should do just fine.

Since we are on the topic of Versi's, check out one of mine that decided to come out while attempting to feed. Personally I think they exhibit some of the best coloration.

tarantulas 020 (Medium).jpg

isolation

Arachnopeon
woah! thats one heck of a T you get there. so cool. really appreciate you sharing you knowledge and experience. ill order my own avicularia versicolor soon. hope it everythings turns out fine. May God bless you JWLP. more power! (=

Curious jay

Arachnodemon
woah! thats one heck of a T you get there. so cool. really appreciate you sharing you knowledge and experience. ill order my own avicularia versicolor soon. hope it everythings turns out fine. May God bless you JWLP. more power! (=
I think the main reason peoples avic slings die are because a) lack of ventilation, b) keeping it overly damp.

HoboAustin

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think the main reason peoples avic slings die are because a) lack of ventilation, b) keeping it overly damp.
+1

I believe many people say their Avic had SADS because they didn't realize a mistake in their husbandry of the Avics.

1hughjazzspider

Arachnoknight
i want to add a a. versicolor to my collection but i heard about the SADS. my Q is, is it really hard to raise a a.versicolor? does the so called phenomenom SADS happen frequently? please share your experiences and thoughts. im from the philippines by the way, a tropical country. thanks!

There's no evidence that SADS exists.

Low

Arachnoknight
There's no evidence that SADS exists.
This...

Its.a catchall term...not a real thing

Spiders die...sometimes for no apparent reason...its called "survival of the fittest"...in nature only a small percent of any given spiderlings survive, whether due to predation or weak/sickly/deformed...but in the hobby, we play god...so to speak...and try to keep every single little babie alive when we really should let nature do her thing...then joe blow spends his hard earned duckets on a pretty blue spider that in all reality would not have survived in nature, for whatever reason..then because money was involved, he has to quantify why that seemingly healthy little spider died.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Zeph

Arachnosquire
I would suggest getting one! I love my A. versi, my first ever sling. I haven't had it too long, but I usually keep the substrate moist but not wet. I offer maimed food to its web and remove it the following day. Standard sling care, I did poke extra holes in its vial for ventilation. Mine is extremely shy and is less active than my terrestrials, but so gorgeous in its coloring and movement that I don't care! :D

Last edited:

wesker12

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I say go for it! They grow so much in between molts! Mine went from 1.5 inches to 2.5 inches and is now a confirmed female! Was also my first ever sling :)

I have had a versi in the same exact condition that this one thrived in die so if I were you I would buy a 3i and up!

Zeph

Arachnosquire
Slings are simply more prone to dying suddenly than adults, but are also cheap and have the potential for much longer lives. Still, I'd be miserable if my A. versi sling didn't survive, a G. rosea is more easily replaceable!

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Avics are not hard to raise at all. I have raised a diversipes to a 3" female now. I raised 10 versicolor to 2-2.5", all were fine, but i traded them off. I keep my Avics just the same as all my arboreals. Water bowl, and pour a little water into the substrate and mist a little every feeding. With the ones that are too small for water bowls, i just mist half the substrate until moist, then let it slowly dry until feeding again.

voodoo chile

Arachnopeon
I have 2 Versi's & A. Purple, all slings I did have 3 versi's but sold one to my friend as he kept nagging me for one. They all live just fine. they are all in plastic jars, I have loads of holes all over them & a small plastic vent fitting on the lids. I spray only when the substrate completely dries out. they are easy to maintain & care for. Yeah some will still die even if you do every thing spot on & the sling is in perfect health, but thats life. I have only ever lost one sling that was posted to me wrapped in tissue. It tried to shed but never had the room to wrapped in tissue. The guy sent a replacement.

ArkGullwing

Arachnosquire
Avicularia are a must have in my opinion. They're just so fun to raise. I have one now that I've raised from a sling, still a sling technically but getting bigger. It's my favorite out of all of mine. I own a P Regalis, GBB, B Smithi and G Pulchra in addition to my A Versicolor.

Here's a pic of my versi soon after I first got it.

isolation

Arachnopeon
thanks guys! welker and ArkGullwing, your a. versicolors are very adorable! thank you for sharing! being a newbie, i still have little knowledge about the said species. ill get one soon! wish me luck guys! more power arachnoboards!

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
This:
Spiders die...sometimes for no apparent reason...its called "survival of the fittest"...in nature only a small percent of any given spiderlings survive, whether due to predation or weak/sickly/deformed...but in the hobby, we play god...so to speak...and try to keep every single little babie alive when we really should let nature do her thing...then joe blow spends his hard earned duckets on a pretty blue spider that in all reality would not have survived in nature, for whatever reason..then because money was involved, he has to quantify why that seemingly healthy little spider died.
and this:
I believe many people say their Avic had SADS because they didn't realize a mistake in their husbandry of the Avics.
My daughters and I got 4 tiny A. versicolor slings as door prizes at the ATS conference last year. My first ever arboreals, and A. versi with the SADS reputation to boot. And one of them came with only six legs. I just 'knew' they weren't going to survive...
All four have done just fine. I still have three, the fourth is living happily in Florida and I hear from him on a regular basis.
I normally have anti-arboreal tendencies, but am seriously considering getting more avic species.
Here is 'Amadeus' at time of his rehouse yesterday:

AngryMothNoises

Arachnosquire
I say go for it! I just ordered a versicolor sling to day!

From what I hear for other people, they are great!

All though, what is this SADS thing? Never heard of it befor.

AmysAnimals

Arachnobaron
Versicolors are so awesome but can be flighty. Mine is very skittish. I love my versicolor. It is so very beautiful. I wouldnt worry too much about SADS I never hear anything of that. I like to assume its make believe. ;) avics can be very easy to raise if you do the right research and don't over care it to death.

Good luck!