Shipping: Tarantula Vs Container Size

Toogledoo

Arachnoknight
Hey, I was just wondering what everyone's opinion is on the shipping container size. I've got a couple big Ts lately that were in little containers. Like so small that they couldn't move and their legs were scrunched up. I personally feel that they should at least have enough room to stretch their legs out, but not enough to be bouncing around in. So, I usually use a container that is slightly longer than the legspan of the T. How do others feel about this? Thanks!

upwith inverts!

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've gotten a few big ones in tubes. Even though they have the extra space, it seems like they choose to be scrunched up anyway. They're getting jostled and bumped while shipping, so they I don't really think they feel like relaxing and stretching out.

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I pack larger tarantulas as tightly as possible. The more you can restrict their movement the better, in my experience.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Im with Lopez on this one..
Honestly, you could pack a tiny sling in a MILK JUG if you want, just depends on how much materials you feel like using.. TP and paper towels are good to have when you need them lol.
Slings seem to do fairly well with looser packaging, but i DEFINITELY pack the hell out of adults and MMs..

---------- Post added 06-13-2012 at 02:59 PM ----------

ive seen the results of a loosely packed adult, and it aint pretty

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
I agree with the above posts. I pack them really tightly, so that they can't move.
Any room you give them is enough to get jostled around and injured during shipping.

Toogledoo

Arachnoknight
Ahh ok, I guess it's ok if I start using containers that are a bit smaller then. I don't give them much room around, but I usually try to leave a little bit of space lengthwise. Thanks for the input! :)

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey, I was just wondering what everyone's opinion is on the shipping container size. I've got a couple big Ts lately that were in little containers. Like so small that they couldn't move and their legs were scrunched up. I personally feel that they should at least have enough room to stretch their legs out, but not enough to be bouncing around in. So, I usually use a container that is slightly longer than the legspan of the T. How do others feel about this? Thanks!
There's a very good reason that the larger ones are shipped so tightly. They're extremely fragile. If they're given any room to rattle around, they become blenderized and die.

Also, remember that most of these creatures spend their entire lives scrunched in a burrow, a hole in the dirt that's so narrow that they can brace themselves between the sides with no effort and no extra room. They're built for it. Their legs are articulated specifically so they can live efficiently in such tight confines. Being in a tight space with contact all around is comforting to them.

Once they arrive at their destination they'll (hopefully) have lots of time to stretch and spread out.

Enjoy your little, 8-legged, sardine can buddy.

Necromion

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
How did you manage to get them to fit in those containers without injury

Toogledoo

Arachnoknight
Right? Wow. How did you get them in there? that seems way too small to me. I'd rather use a bigger container and more paper towels. Makes me more comfortable.

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Right? Wow. How did you get them in there? ...
Most terrestrial tarantulas will crawl into tight spaces like that with little or no prodding. REMEMBER, THEY PREFER TIGHT SPACES WHERE THEY'RE IN CLOSE CONTACT ALL THE WAY AROUND THEM!

... I'd rather use a bigger container and more paper towels. ...
Paper toweling and other packing materials do just that: They pack. That produces extra space that gives the tarantula too great an opportunity to rattle around, bruise internally, and die two days after the shipper's guarantee expires!

... Makes me more comfortable.
Not to be rude, but we need to get you thinking in the right track: We're not interested in whether you're comfortable or not. We want the tarantula to arrive alive and healthy. The pet industry has been shipping tarantulas commercially for more than 50 years now. Tens of thousands a month, hundreds of thousands a year, maybe millions of tarantulas in total. Been there. Done that. Drank the water. Got the runs. In the 1960s your parents' or your grandparents' generation made all the simple mistakes and suffered all the losses. Learn from them. Learn from us.

We pack them tight so there's no chance they'll rattle around during shipment. And, they arrive just fine.

[size=+1]FOR HUMANS IT'S CLAUSTROPHOBIA.

FOR TARANTULAS ITS A WAY OF LIFE!
[/SIZE]​

Enjoy your little 8-legged sardines!

Toogledoo

Arachnoknight
Well, I've rarely had Ts easily go into any shipping container. Using a small container like that, I'd be more likely to accidentally hurt them, which I don't want to do. That's what I meant by it makes me more comfortable to ship them in larger containers, less likely for me to hurt them getting them in there. I pack my paper towels very tightly, and only leave a space big enough for them to fit into. I'm pretty sure my Ts don't rattle around. I do feel that the more comfortable I am, the more comfortable I can make my Ts.

Thank you everyone for the info. I will feel more comfortable using slightly smaller containers now, but I still don't think I will try little bitty ones for larger Ts yet. Maybe in the future. Practice makes perfect! :)

Drakk

Arachnosquire
Typically in my exp getting them into small containers is just a matter or a gentle brush stroke or at most lowering the top so that it touches them.
*shrugs*

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've never had problems getting a large T into a tight shipping container. The majority go straight in, and seem to be most comfortable in the tight space where no predators (ie me) cant get to it.

A larger container with more paper towels also doesn't provide more padding or protection than a smaller container, unless it's packed looser. In which case, it will only increase the possibility of injury.

Last edited:

Toogledoo

Arachnoknight
Peter, that is pretty much how I ship mine except I make the hole a little more rectangular for terrestrials. I think people are thinking I leave a lot of room. I ship my arborials the way that Robc's video shows. Pretty much the same way I've received most of my Ts. Never had a problem. Here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3cKX6y1NhI

I don't use a huge container, just one that is a little longer than the legspan of the T. I put moist paper towels in the bottom and then I make a little funnel, put paper towels on top and put the lid on.

jayefbe, I didn't think it added more padding or protection or anything. I just have a harder time trying to get them into a smaller container.