Sting or Bite?

EbonyKatana1664

Arachnosquire
I thought to myself about whether you call a bite from a centipede a 'bite' or a 'sting'. I mean, it would be a sting, right? Because of the modified legs piercing you but not actually biting you. What do you think?

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Totally a bite. I assume their biters are just the same as true spiders have. I have seen them, and own both, but dont know enough about the anatomy and scientific part.

cantthinkofone

Arachnodemon
it easier to call it being tagged. sounds sorta cool and it describes it better. technically though its a bite because once they attach they start using their mouth to eat what they bit. and plus stings are from stingers not modified legs.

ecooper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Then again, there are a lot of things that "sting" without a stinger...caterpillars, corals, jellyfish...whereas “bite” pretty much implies the use of mouthparts.

Greenjewls

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
"Envenomed"? They are technically modified first legs... but modified to the extent that they are essentially mouth-parts now. They are designed and used in the manner of spider fangs. I call it a "bite", knowing that this is just a common term and not fully accurate, much in the same way that people call scorpions "poisonous", when in fact, they are not. You can eat them all day. Same with rattlesnakes!

EbonyKatana1664

Arachnosquire
I call them bites by default too but Im not sure if its accurate or not as people have many viewpoints on it.