Quick feeding video

Snakeguy101

Arachnopeon
Before I get crucified- I know I am not supposed to feed her rodents. This is the first and only time she has ate them, I just wanted to fatten her up some since she has been skinny since her last molt. Anyways, it is neat to watch and I think you will enjoy it.

[YOUTUBE]wNAsUNrBGNc&feature=plcp[/YOUTUBE]
You can watch it on 720p and see a lot more detail.

This is the enclosure she was filmed in. She has been out exploring it non stop- does not seem to want to go into her den yet.

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ok, there's feeding rodents, and then there's feeding LIVE rodents. Besides the unnecessarily painful and traumatic death for the rodent, there's the possibility of a fatal bite.

Snakeguy101

Arachnopeon
Ok, there's feeding rodents, and then there's feeding LIVE rodents. Besides the unnecessarily painful and traumatic death for the rodent, there's the possibility of a fatal bite.
The mouse was dead in about 10 seconds. I hardly consider that "unnecessarily painful and traumatic". She obviously had no problem overpowering the mouse and we positioned it in front of her so that she could attack it and not have the mouse come up from behind her.

I know this is controversial but it was all fine. She is fat and happy currently and that is what matters.

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
Mod Note

Just a little reminder for everyone to keep this civil. If it turns ugly, warnings/infractions will be handed out, and it will be closed.

You don't have to agree with each other on live feeding/feeding mice, but if you're going to disagree on it, do it in a civil manner.

wesker12

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sweet! She looked hungry, do you breed the mice yourself?

wierdscaryguy86

Arachnopeon
IMO-and this is just me, but anything a Tarantula would meet up with in the wild and eat, would seem ok in a enclosure under the owners supervision. The T looks like it had no problem taking its prey down and im sure it enjoyed the variety of something new to hunt and eat. I just assume that these huge guys run into some big meals in the wild and they were built to eat something bigger than crickets for sure.

wesker12

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
No, I used to work at a reptile shop in town (and still handle their advertising) so I get mice from them.
Make sure the mice aren't coated with an anti flea medicine as most if not all are toxic to tarantulas, I have no qualms about feeding mice to tarantulas that can easily handle it (such as yours) but next time make sure the mice are clean!

---------- Post added 06-23-2012 at 11:35 AM ----------

Do you eat meat?

Snakeguy101

Arachnopeon
Make sure the mice aren't coated with an anti flea medicine as most if not all are toxic to tarantulas, I have no qualms about feeding mice to tarantulas that can easily handle it (such as yours) but next time make sure the mice are clean!
These mice were meant to go to reptiles as food. We would not add any sort of pesticide to something that would be ingested. Thanks for the tip though- I could see this happening with mice that are being sold as pets.

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The only thing I would have done differently is perhaps use a smaller mouse, would die even quicker.
My personnal scale : 4''=pinkies, 6'' fuzzies, 8''+ hoppers. Nothing bigger to anything.

Snakeguy101

Arachnopeon
The only thing I would have done differently is perhaps use a smaller mouse, would die even quicker.
My personnal scale : 4''=pinkies, 6'' fuzzies, 8''+ hoppers. Nothing bigger to anything.
The mouse was a large hopper but still a hopper and the T is a little over 7" with her legs spread.

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's ok when the head is struck first, but this doesn't occur all the time.

I use mice on the eve of long travels or else. Also, I prefer to downscale the prey for the following reasons:

-It's more humane. The larger the prey, the more likely the fangs will miss vital organs or veins, hence a slower death. I don't mind a quick kill but oversised preys mean a lot of suffering, mice bitten in the butt that take forever to die,etc....dislike.

-A large mouse is rarely totally absorbed, and you'll have to clean smelly leftovers.

-The risk of prey item fighting back is prportionnal to size.

-Even though I agree with the fact that they eat verts in the wild, it's not a big proportion of their diet. Also the vast majority of the vertebrates they catch in the wild are cold blodded, so I actually use mice when my supplier is oult of crippled anoles. I actually experimented with two P fasciata a few years ago. One had a lizard, the other a fuzzy. The one that ate the fuzzie stayed bloated and ignored food wayyyy longer. T's are more adapted at digesting cold blooded preys, so I use mice when I know they won't be fed for a while. Crickets are minuscule here : (

goodyt

Arachnosquire
Isn't it illegal to feed t's vertebrates in some countries?

Vilurum

Arachnosquire
Would it not be better to have more sub in there so if the T climbs and falls it wont damage itself?

Beardo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've already let "snakeguy101" know how I feel about the feeding video on another forum, but I agree.....the spider would be better off in a smaller enclosure with more substrate rather than a giant, soggy fish tank......but thats just me.

Snakeguy101

Arachnopeon
I've already let "snakeguy101" know how I feel about the feeding video on another forum, but I agree.....the spider would be better off in a smaller enclosure with more substrate rather than a giant, soggy fish tank......but thats just me.
The substrate is 6" thick in the front and nearly a foot thick towards the back under the driftwood pieces to minimize the fall hazard. Also, the substrate is not "soggy"- It is drained using hydroball substrate underneath a layer of organic soil and sand. Thanks for your input as always beardo but I think that having several choices of dens to hide or places to hunt are much better for a T her size than just cramming her into a critter keeper stuffed with moss.