paranoid about escapes, zilla critter cages?

Acal57

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hello everyone, been a while since I've been here. I got out of the hobby a couple of years ago due to taking a new job where I lived on site and critters were not an option. I've recently moved to a new apt, and have since gotten married and have a 6 month old daughter and another one on the way. I am wanting to get back into the hobby and my pedes were always my favourite. For obvious reasons escape is not an option. I like to display my collection and I had good luck with a zilla critter cage in the past the kind with the sliding lid. I reinforced the screen with heavy gauge fine wire mesh and wrapped duct tape around the sliding part to tighten the fit. I never had an escape with this setup. Does anyone house their pedes in Zilla cages? How do you house your display pedes? Any tips on securing lids?

wesker12

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Get the biggest screw on jar you can find, pretty much the only enclosure I trust pedes in.

EbonyKatana1664

Arachnosquire
Well I know its not SuperPede proof but I get the largest KritterKeepers and put a mesh all around the underside of the lid for so that my prize pedes wount be able to squish out.

satchellwk

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You can't go wrong with a big plastic cheese ball jar with a screw on lid; pedes can do a lot of things, but unscrewing a lid is not one of them. Plus, it's pretty cost effective, and most brands have near-glass grade transparency. If you really want to use the critter cages, I would say the taller the better.
Good luck.

Greenjewls

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Do you and your family like pickles? Mt. Olive is not my favorite brand but I eat tons of them. At Target they sell gallon-sized glass jars of these pickles. I prefer Clausen but the tiny jar is useless!

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I like the tight fitting sliding screen lid, I don't know the brand off-hand, the ones that have a locking clip on top that snap-locks when it's pushed in all the way. I can see a few slits but 6+ inch centipedes aren't going to get out of these over here. Big, clear deli containers work if you want to go simple. I've raised many CBs to adults in delis.

Arianji

Arachnosquire
I second greenjewls mount olive pickle jar. I keep my widow in one of those and there is no escape for her (I realize she is not a pede, but I would not like her free range in the house)

Daltar08

Arachnopeon
I get the 5 gallon aquariums and beef up the ouside top with gorrilla tape so that the lid makes an ultratight seal,