Little molt problem, not sure what to do...

Pixie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well, last night my new little rosy molted, just got her last week and was really surprised to have actually seen her get into position! Never thought I'd ever actually witness that! She "shimmied" onto her side but never actually flipped over, was pretty neat to watch.

When I got up not too long ago, she was pretty much done her molt but the top half of her abdomen and the carapace is hanging on by what seems to be a thread. The bottom half of the abdomen is off fine and so is every thing else: legs, fangs.

I gently pulled the molt away from her hoping that the last of it would just slip off but obviously it separated and she has the top half of the abdomen's skin still on her and the carapace that seems to be going along for the ride. I attempted to VERY gently tug at the bit left on her but since it didn't just come off, I left her alone.

I am not too worried about losing her as all the important body parts molted out okay and the bottom of her abdomen seems to have come off fine.

Do I just let her be and it will fall off eventually? That's what I feel I should do but I would very much appreciate some advice from other experienced T keepers.

Pixie

da_illest

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
try to up the humidity for a few hours and if you can cover most of the lid with plastic wrap, or try wetting a Q-tip with water and moistening the part the the shed's connecting to her body, it should come off.. is she mobile? can she manage to move around? if not then cut off most of the exo and leave an inch or so on her so she can still move around.. i'm sure someone else might have had a similiar expoierience and can help you out better..

MrFeexit

Arachnodork
Old Timer
Just leave it. She will get it off when she gets time. Seriously she will take it off herself and any poking around you do may injure her instead of helping her.

da_illest

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by MrFeexit
Just leave it. She will get it off when she gets time. Seriously she will take it off herself and any poking around you do may injure her instead of helping her.
try this first then and if in a few days it's still on take some action and help her out.. i guess i'm looking at it like a snake when it has shedding problems but i guess the 2 are completely different..

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
My teeny little A. witchitanum is running around with the top half of her carapace flappin' in the wind! It's too tiny for me to mess with, so I just left it that way!! It'll come off with the next molt, until then, she's got a little extra dŽcor!!

Pixie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Here is a picture of her molted skin, it shows pretty well what's missing.

As you can see, the bottom of the abdomen came off nicely, including the spinnerets. The carapace is still hanging on to her but did come off, it's flipped back upside down on her abdomen.

While I'm at it, can someone confirm the sex?

So for her molt problem, I will just up the humidity and leave her be. It can't be hanging on by much but I'm sure that the T prefers to take care of it herself than me poking at her! lol

Total bonus is that she seems to have molted into somewhat of a red phase! Her legs have some crazy red in them now! I'm dying to get a good look at her abdomen, argh!!!

I'll post some pics shortly of the rosy to get more opinions later. I'll wait till she starts moving again on her own as she's scrunched up now and really don't want to stress her anymore. When I first got her, I wasn't 100% sure she was a rosy, and now with this molt am even less sure. She has some light striping on her legs and now some crazy red too! I'm thinking maybe PZB but her carapace is too light to fit... So confusing!

Hopefully that matter will be put to rest soon. :)

Pixie

da_illest

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
looks like a rosie.. and by the looks of it it's a female, i'm not 100% sure though..

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Female for sure.
You did a nice job opening her abdomen for that picture.
In a day or two put a drop of water on the stuck part, it should fall off.

Ernie

Pixie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This little girl gave me another good scare.. When I checked up on her a couple of hours after I posted last, I saw her scampering and dragging her body along the ground when walking.

I'm pretty darn sure that it wasn't a good sign and think that it could be due to dehydration. I've seen her drink water (since her molt) so at least that is a good sign.

I transfered her into an "ICU" and last I checked she seemed alright, or at least a bit better. Seemed to stand more on her legs than before. I'm also hoping that the higher humidity level helps her with the last bit of molt left on her abdomen.

I really hope that she pulls through all right. I got her last week and she was quickly sexed (by touch only) as a male. Now that I know she's a female (I already have a male) and to top it off, that she is red phase, I really don't want to lose her!

Was putting her in an "ICU" a good move? I think it was and I was extremelly careful about transferring her. It went well and quick, couldn't have asked for more from her. I know it's best to leave them alone after a molt and usually never interfere, but this one gave me a good scare today and I felt that I had to do something...

Pixie

Pixie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
She's doing better! New pic too

Well I'm very happy to say that spending the night in the "ICU" seems to have helped her. When I checked on her just a few minutes ago, she walked on her legs more. PHEEWWWW!!!

I took a picture to show where the molt is still stuck on her and to show her pretty new red coloring. The molt is progressively hanging on by less and less. I see her kicking at it once in a while. I will let her deal with taking it off!

Question: Did the red just come from the last molt or would it have been present earlier. I didn't notice it but she was very drab. Only thing I really noticed was that she was darker than my other rosy.

Pixie

da_illest

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
WOW! lucky YOU! she looks amazing! i think the ICU thing was a great idea.. it's saved 2 of my t's who where in full out death curls barely responding to touch.. who ever invented the ICU deserves a prize really.. after i saved my last T with one i was SOO happy i was going to post a thread bigging up the ICU..

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
I think RugbyDave's dad started the whole ICU thing, not sure if you can call that an invention!! Too bad he didn't patent it!! I'D give him a Nobel!!! :D