Ornata Project

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ok, so .. as some may know, my regalis project failed miserably. I HAD to jump on the chance to try my hand with Poeci's, and with this ornata couple the timing is PERFECT. Both are super fresh and ready for eachother. (thanks again to rich65 for the MM ..he sure knows how to grow em)
My female molted to just shy of 8" on 6/26 and has since ate a handful of crickets. In THIS case, i offered the female a small pinkie mouse before introducing the male to her enclosure. After a few hours of eating, and not leaving a speck behind, darkness and quiet crept in and the following happened

View attachment 105839 [YOUTUBE]CYid_BeFey4&feature=g-upl[/YOUTUBE]

This video has taken me all day to figure out. Im admittedly NOT TOO GREAT with computers, and im apparently an even worse camera man lol. This vid was shot with an Iphone, and OG consisted of 4 vids which i edited into one.
Sorry for so much movement, but hindsight is 20/20 if i would have MOVED THE ENCLOSURE, i would have been able to get better angles. Just did not want to disturb the female before intro of the male.
The music isnt really what i was lookin for, but my kids mom was over watching tv, and NOBODY needs to hear TrueBlood in the background :biggrin:

Anyways, this is my first pairing of this sp./genera and it went well.. Also, was my 1st vid, editing job etc. Hope you enjoy.

Oh yeah, dont miss the present the bastard MM left for me to clean right at the end of the vid either:sarcasm:

Tweak

Arachnosquire
Great video! Your females colors really pop she's gorgeous! The male seemed to frighten her when he would try and burst in there lol but it looks like an insertion will happen eventually! Good luck.

P.s. I found the music pretty funny lol

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
there was the real good one that knocked her on her back. He got it in, then she righted herself and he took off to clean his palps.
Her furrow was busted open afterwards, but i didnt get it on vid. I will feed her again a time or two (no more mice lol) and insert the male again in a few days .. it APPEARS he already reloaded, but i want to make CERTAIN

Tweak

Arachnosquire
Very understandable. I'd say keep updating this thread but I'm sure you will :D

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
you know it:wink:
so far, i have kept all my pairing threads alive. I plan to do so (successfull or not) until i DO get slings that hit 2i. I will then write full reports and post them in the proper sections.
These threads are mostly so i can keep accurate notes, and so the people i get males from can see whats going on from the comfort of their living rooms, offices, cell phones etc. My rosie project didnt go so well, but ill just keep it alive when i get a 2nd male. I have a few of these going right now

---------- Post added 07-08-2012 at 07:45 PM ----------

for those who want to skip to the good parts they happen at 7minutes and at 9:19 lol ( < now you know what T poo looks like:biggrin:)

hamhock 74

Arachnobaron
Very cool man, how long did the entire mating process take,and was there an insertion I don't think I saw one, but then again I was skipping to different parts. (Internet is laggy at the moment.)

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
about 5-10 minutes to hook up, then the 10 minutes of vid was really about 1/2 hour of time.
Im pretty sure i saw one GOOD insertion, and her furrow was definitely "open" rather than the usual slit afterwards. Between that, and the palp cleaning, id call it successful. I will be trying again a few times off and on until im 100% confident.
At least she seems receptive.
I guess im going to have to man up and leave at least ONE door open so the male is more comfortable. Ive done a ton of reading on breeding this sp. and ive gotten some trustworthy/great sounding tips so i got high hopes this will turn out well in the end.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
thats the plan :biggrin: hell, at this point i wouldnt even care.. i just really want this to go right after my last 2 pairings went bad .. one molted out, one male got eaten.
I saw a vid on YT of talkenlate04's where he is HOLDING the female poeci so the male can do his biz... NOT that worried about making this project work.
I DID enjoy watching his vid tho

---------- Post added 07-08-2012 at 09:23 PM ----------

id tell all you if he gets bit or not, but his vids are worthy of being watched. hes done a lot in the hobby and is somebody to learn a thing or two from

Skeri

Arachnosquire
Hope you get a sac! :)

Holding the female down? That I haven't heard of before. Do you have a link to the video?

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
k so i watched just about EVERY ornata pairing vid on YT last night, and ALL insertions go very fast with this sp. (likely given the reputation of the females lol)
Im gonna go ahead and rule that pairing as successful

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Looks like he got a insertion, but it was a very quick one, and probably not enough to work. I think i prefer true blood lol.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
really? thanks John.. i didnt know that a "short" insertion could result as a failed one. Either way, aint gonna stress over it.. i will be likely pairing again as it APPEARS the MM made another sperm web already.. i see a couple thick, twisted, bright white web strands hanging from the sides of his deli.
He ate 2 crickets this afternoon
my female has CURRENTLY ate 3 out of however many i dumped in on accident. I will let him get after it tonight or tomorrow after work and i will surely be making another vid. I MAY try without the light on my Iphone on, so it may not be as bright.. Least amount of distractions the better IMO.
I will ALSO be moving my females enclosure to somewhere more convenient so i dont have to move around as much.
I never fully figured out how to make a vid silent, but when i attempt again it will DEFINITELY be quiet in my house. I like hearing the tapping, and the stupid music in my 1st vid hides the noise.

Ceratogyrus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Looks like he got a insertion, but it was a very quick one, and probably not enough to work.
All of my pokie matings were always very quick. Half a second if that.
I only pair them once and have had 15+ successful sacs from pokies already.
In my experience, one very quick mating is good enough. My females also don't usually show any interest in the males after a successful mating (Other than metallica's), so that should be a sign.
I know it is not ornata, but here is a video of pederseni. Sorry if this is considered a highjack, but it is the same genus. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKRqSAA1Dlw&feature=g-upl
You can see the quick insert at the end of the video before he throws her off the tank.

Skeri

Arachnosquire
I just got a chance to check out that link. That is nuts! Cool video though.

Grayzone, I have imovie on my computer and i'm pretty decent at working on it, so if you ever need help hit me up :)

Speaking of which I am thinking of posting the B. vagans pairing I did, after I do an immense amount of editing. It will probably be more humorous than anything though. There will probably be sub-captions (I got a terrible angle of the whole thing, but it was because I was more worried about being able to separate the two than getting a good shot) along the lines of "here is where I felt like my heart was ganna explode" and "Here is where I started whispering to my male to push because my female is large and hes clearly a bit small and I thought the poor little guy was ganna snap under pressure of her weight" and my favorite "here is where I get way too close into their personal space to see if said pairing will be successful" XD Hopefully when I try the urticans pairing I can get so better angles and I wont be in the video looking ridiculous XD.

Ceratogyrus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just had a look at your video now and that was a perfect insert.
Probably twice as long as the inserts my pokie males get with their partners (As you can see in my video in my previous post)
You can try him again with her if you really like, but if she doesn't tap like the first pairing, I would take him out asap as he will probably become lunch.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thanks Ceratogyrus. I tried pairing again last night, but after 1/2 hour of him in the tank ,and he only tapped once, i figured it was a good sign to take him back out. She didnt even tap back. When he happened across her CB tube, i saw what LOOKED like her tapping, however she could have just been cleaning her fangs (she has some free range crix in there)

Either way, i figured it best to pull him and try again another day .. i would definitely like to see one more successful hookup before retiring the male. Also, thanks for posting your vids link. Scary stuff watchin them fall, but they're arboreals so i know the are built for it. That male you had wasn't playin around lol.

Thank YOU skeri for the help offer. Ive had a couple awesome members help just to get me started creating THIS vid, if i make a 2nd i will DEFINITELY PM you about it. Would be cool to learn some more editing techniques and such. Also, if you make a vid of your vagans send a link. Id surely check it out.