Flameleg Breeding Success!

SDCPs

Arachnolord
Here is an overview of my setup. The pedes bred without any additional heat:

Here is an image of 2 of the parents, and a male ebony (only member of another mili species present):

Here is a baby showing beginning yellow leg coloration, a pretty good photo I admit. Take with aid of a maglite LED flashlight:

And for scale, a baby by a blade of grass. Some are nearly 1" long:

I'm so very happy! I need to source some new millipedes...wait...do I have room :sarcasm:

Gnat

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
sweet success! Im glad to read a milli breeding story that worked out!

SDCPs

Arachnolord
I don't know. The most I counted was 9 at one time just against the front glass, but there's sure to be more everywhere in the substrate. I also see little piles of tiny turds of dung appearing against the glass. The substrate is being eaten at a very rapid pace. When should I replace it? Obviously I would leave it for a few months to avoid throwing out babies, but maybe the parents and pedelings need fresh? I set the tank up in January.

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Rather than change out the sub, why not just throw a fresh layer of leaf litter on top?

Risky

Arachnosquire
Congrats on sucessfully breeding them! Keep us updated on their growth.

SDCPs

Arachnolord
I'm starting to find them on the surface. These things are HUGE for babies! I've only had the parents for 7 months. They have to be like 6 months old.

At 6 months old young are between 1" and 1.75" and are already developing adult leg coloration:

SDCPs

Arachnolord
I recently counted 29 at night. Some were against the glass but the biggest ones were on the surface. I have some 2-inchers! I'm sure there are more.

SDCPs

Arachnolord
They're adults now! Here's two I shipped out today (if you want you can get some also, on my website):

large flameleg millipedes.jpg

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Ooo, nice! A little bit late, but congrats! Haha. They look really nice! Might have to get a few later on! Haha.