Photos of some of my bugs

SEB

Arachnosquire
Hey everyone. Last night I took some pictures of my some of my hissing roaches and some awesome fly carcases that I found in one of my pitcher plant leaves. Unfortunately my lighting situation is a bit lacking so I had to jack up the ISO on my camera. It made the shots a little more grainy than I would like, but felt like sharing anyway.

cheers,

Gromphadorhina oblongonota

Gromphadorhina portentosa

Gromphadorhina grandidieri

Bugs In Cyberspace

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Very nice photos. Tiger hissers (G. grandidieri) are my favorite hisser species. You've got a nice camera there!

hydrophyte

Arachnoknight
Nice shots! What kind of camera are you shooting with?

Flies are amazing with magnification.

SEB

Arachnosquire
Very nice photos. Tiger hissers (G. grandidieri) are my favorite hisser species. You've got a nice camera there!
Not really peter, it's an old Canon XTi I bought used, Can't afford the good stuff yet.

---------- Post added 07-31-2012 at 09:13 AM ----------

I took a few shots of some of my tarantulas last night. An OBT and baby G.rosea

SEB

Arachnosquire
I found this metallic green beetle on my balcony yesterday. I don't know what it is but it's beautiful so of course I took some pictures. If anyone knows, let me know what species it is.

SEB

Arachnosquire
I found some snails on my way home. I find them to be very comical.

BeetleExperienc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Beetle looks like Cotinis mutabilis. Are you west of Louisiana ?

---------- Post added 08-03-2012 at 03:58 PM ----------

N.M. - just saw your "Los Angeles"

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Loved the fork prop- it made my animal brain salivate yet feign disgust at having to potentially chew through that thick exo. Rockin' snail pics!

SEB

Arachnosquire
Beetle looks like Cotinis mutabilis. Are you west of Louisiana ?

---------- Post added 08-03-2012 at 03:58 PM ----------

N.M. - just saw your "Los Angeles"
I think you are right! that looks exactly the same. Thanks!

serendipity38

Arachnopeon
Mate............you takin the juice! Pics like that on a second hand cam? I would kill for that detail............surely thats not a standard lens?

SEB

Arachnosquire
Mate............you takin the juice! Pics like that on a second hand cam? I would kill for that detail............surely thats not a standard lens?
Thanks! Lens setup is a crappy 50mm prime lens I won on ebay for $9 reversed on extension tubes. Total cost $112.

---------- Post added 08-11-2012 at 10:50 PM ----------

Right now I am in Alaska for the next two weeks so am taking pictures of the local invertebrates. Bees may be an overly photographed insect but I still always find them interesting and fun to shoot. I am not sure exactly what species of bee this is but they are everywhere and very fuzzy in comparison to common honey bees.

There will be more bugs to come and will post throughout the next few weeks.

lizardminion

Arachnolord
Those bees are magnificent! Great shots of those beautiful bees. I find their 'fur' quite elegant.

SEB

Arachnosquire
So I just got back from a four day camping trip while here in Alaska. Got some shots of some bugs around the campsite and on trail. I really liked all the different flies. There were so many different colors and sizes. unfortunately, taking a macro shot of a live fly is surprisingly difficult so only managed to get a few decent shots. I only got about 1/16 of the different species I found.

Last edited: