When should I feed?

Lyle Beach

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well I have a 1 1/2" B. smithi slingthat just molted into a 2" juvinile.

He molted on Monday morning. Since then he hasn't come out of his little coconut "hut"

I have no idea if his fangs have hardened up yet due to not being able to see them.

As a rule of thumb, how long do you wait to feed a juvinile T after a molt?

Thanks!

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If its the coconut huts I'm thinking of does it have it sealed? if so I would go ahead and drop a few crickets in but key an eye on it. If it is still soft its wmotling plug should still be there [most will pl;ug up their hides/burrows when motling to discourage predatores and conceal their soft bodies.] The crickets shouldn't be able to enter this the T in question could come out when its ready to eat. BTW if it isnt coming out and you cant see it how can you be certain of its size incriment?

Lyle Beach

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Malhavoc's said:
If its the coconut huts I'm thinking of does it have it sealed? if so I would go ahead and drop a few crickets in but key an eye on it. If it is still soft its wmotling plug should still be there [most will pl;ug up their hides/burrows when motling to discourage predatores and conceal their soft bodies.] The crickets shouldn't be able to enter this the T in question could come out when its ready to eat. BTW if it isnt coming out and you cant see it how can you be certain of its size incriment?
Well, I saw him when I first got him, which was only 3 days before he molted. And just looking inside the hut with a flashlight, makes me guesstimate the 2" size.

He webbed up the entrance... but hardly any at all.... maybe like 3 strands of web. So I can see in the hut, no problem. And the crix could get in there no problem either.

My question was just how long to wait... I have heard 1 week, but I thought that maybe a juvinile T would harden up faster.

caligulathegod

Arachnodeity
Old Timer
There's no hurry. It's not like a hamster or dog that needs to eat every day. You could wait a month. I usually wait a good 2 weeks, sometimes more.

Lyle Beach

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I know there is no hurry, but I really want to keep my T in it's best health, and... the more it eats... the more often it will molt... which means it'll get bigger!

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
at that size, a week is probably more than sufficient. If it's not hungry after that amount of time, at least it won't get eaten by the the prey...

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Lyle Beach said:
My question was just how long to wait... I have heard 1 week, but I thought that maybe a juvinile T would harden up faster.
As they get bigger they take longer. I've had sligns harden an hour after a motl where as my adult g rosea took 3 hole days lol. 5-7 days I would think you could be cautious andwait more. Nice set up you have him/her in and hope you enjoy your T :)