Sc. galapagoensis

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
For people that got their galapagoensis, why no pics? I know several were for sale in the US, I just noticed not many have posted pics lately. The ones over here are really big now. The biggest is about to molt, probably will molt tonight. I'll post pics after it does, I'm really impressed by it's size now and how fast it has grown, they were only 5 to 6 inches when I got them around 6 months ago. Three have molted 3 times. btw, I mated the two females, they both laid eggs. One ate the eggs the same day. The other one ate her eggs at around 30 days, I never saw any big changes in the eggs. I will keep trying of course. Is anybody else trying out there? They were young when they bred, but a female molted and the other looks like she is about to also. I'm going to try and breed them again after that to hopefully increase the odds. Post pics here if you want. I think this big male about to molt will be 8 to 9 inches post molt, they are thick too. Also something that may be coincidence, the three males(have two now) each have long antennae, the females have noticeably shorter ones. I have no idea if that's a consistent sexual dimorphic feature, just thought I'd bring it up.

coldvaper

Arachnosquire
Speaking of pics, where are your pics? I really hope your are successful in your breeding attempts. I remember seeing pics of these and thinking how gorgeous they are.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I was going to post pics after the big one molted. I've been feeling a little bad because I was feeling the heros interest fading after messing with these, I think I'm OK now lol. Even though they are giants, not yet anyway, they make all the other centipedes I've had seem kind of wimpy.

stingray

Arachnobaron
Well Tod you know I only got one. But here is a recent pic of it. Mine has grown alot, and gotten thicker since I got it. I have not got an exact measurement lately but its between 8 - 8 1/2. I agree they are fast growers and get very thick bodied.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Dang, it only gained around half an inch or so, I was hoping it would molt to two feet or so. Oh well, maybe next time. Yeah I think these are around 8 inches so far also. I keep them in 7.5 gals btw, I don't keep them in these delis all the time. I thought one got out so I dug it up, noticed it was about to molt, so far they have molted around the same time, prob within a couple of weeks of each other.

This one molted this morning;

This one molted a few days ago;

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
wow, yeah those are chunky,and yeah very beautiful,that's one pede i don't have in my collection................yet.

coldvaper

Arachnosquire
Those are gorgeous, congratulations guys. Galapoheros I know you have been wanting these for a long time. I really hope we can get a good breeding group going in the states they are far to beautiful to let get out of the hobby.

Ivymike1973

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thank you for sharing the pics. I would love to get one of these eventually. Best of luck with the breeding program.

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
May I congradulate you all on your fantastic creatures, someday I hope to have such things of beauty!

Androctonus_bic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This kind of post make me become ill of envy! Really awsome pedes and good work... now reproduction and expansion is the objective for the hobbytist!

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
A female galapagoensis bred again but she seemed to abort the spermatophore, just removed it. My guess is that she is still storing the old and doesn't need it, but of course ...then why mate again? hmm, who knows. Maybe she didn't remove it all, I couldn't tell for sure.

dactylus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Todd,

Those are some real honkers!!! Holy shit, I guess I really didn't realize how thick they got. Like "legged" clubs with fangs!! I wish you the best of luck with the breeding!!! Absolutely stunning centipedes!

David

stingray

Arachnobaron
Tod sooner or later you will have a bunch of galapo plings running around!

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah I hope so too thanks. You know I literally think these weigh 4 or 5 times more than they did when a received them 7 months or so ago. I was just now trying to take before and after pics showing the growth but I can't duplicate the "bad" lighting when I took pics a long time ago. But I might post the pics here later, just have to upload them.

OK just took a fresh pic, after looking at the pics, maybe weighs more than 5x what it did when I first got them.

btw, I don't keep them in these delis.

Last edited:

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Have you seen the female do that in any previous matings(of other species)? I wonder if she wasn't just doing a little "toweling off", haha. I'm very glad these are in your capable hands, sir;)