Stinky Cane Toads

Love to Foxtrot

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Has anyone else who owns cane toads noticed this, or is it just my toads? I am keeping two large cane toads in a rubbermaid tub with a ventilated lid and their substrate is Fluker's sphagnum moss. I think that they are very neat animals and I love keeping them, but they smell! The smell itself is not offensive to me , it simply smells musky and "toady", but it is so strong that it makes it somewhat unpleasant to breathe in for any considerable length of time. I have kept many different toads from my area and I have always noticed a similar scent from them, but I have never smelled it as strongly as I do from the cane toads. I have not had them long enough for it to be coming from an abundance of poop, so I suppose that it is the toad's skin secretions that is creating the odor. Also, is this smell unhealthy to be breathing, and if so, does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to help control the scent? This may seem like a silly question, but I am curious to know if this is a common occurrence or not.

Aubrey

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well, it only takes one big poop from one of those toads to make a pretty big stink. How ventilated is the top? Full screen? I've noticed that if kept in containers where ventilation is even somewhat restricted, it'll stink pretty quickly. Is the moss moist? It doesn't really need to be moist for marine toads. Dry moss and more ventilation should help cut down on the smell.

Wade