screen vents vs. drilling holes

dunsparce

Arachnopeon
I'm gonna stop by the container store within the next few days to buy some sling containers and I was wondering what people think about ventilation methods. I know some people like to cut a hole in the container and place a screen over it, while others simply drill holes in the container. Is there a right way to do this? As in, is one method better than the other? I think the screen vents look nice, but I've just been using a drill to drill holes in my containers, mostly because I don't have a hole saw (or know how to use one) and I don't know where to (and what kind of) screen to buy. Thoughts?

Ludedor24

FangzTv
Old Timer
save yourself some money and go to michaels craft store for acrylic containers ..they work great! and as far as vents or holes...I use a soldering iron to burn holes in small containers I use vents on large projects or a species that needs more ventilation.

You can find round aluminum vents with folding tabs or you can glue them on( there are sites on the web that sell them)....lets say you get a 2''vent....go to a hardware store and get a 2'' holesaw for a drill and take out the bit in the center...apply little pressure at full speed , just let the saw melt the plastic or acrylic

Aviara

Arachnoknight
If you don't have power tools, or you want an even smaller hole, heating up one end of a nail and then pushing it through the acrylic works well. The nail will melt the acrylic on contact and create a hole perfect for ventilation. The amount of holes I poke in each container varies depending on the species that will be living in it. I've heard of people using tacks and paper clips the same way for smaller holes. Just be sure to either hold the nail with some sort of pliers or wrap it with a non-flammable tape to create a handle.

Ivymike1973

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I usually drill holes in the acrylic but i did just get some super fine mesh stainless steel screen so I was thinking about trying it out for screen vents. I am paranoid about ants getting to my Ts and this screen is fine enough that they can't get through it.

dunsparce

Arachnopeon
save yourself some money and go to michaels craft store for acrylic containers ..they work great! and as far as vents or holes...I use a soldering iron to burn holes in small containers I use vents on large projects or a species that needs more ventilation.

You can find round aluminum vents with folding tabs or you can glue them on( there are sites on the web that sell them)....lets say you get a 2''vent....go to a hardware store and get a 2'' holesaw for a drill and take out the bit in the center...apply little pressure at full speed , just let the saw melt the plastic or acrylic
Oh, so a holesaw is just a piece that attaches to the end of a drill? Because I do have a drill (Sorry I'm not too power-tool savvy lol)

And also I'm wondering, are the vents better than holes for letting some humidity out? I'm concerned because I live in Florida, so excessive humidity can be a bit of a problem sometimes

Last edited:

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer

Good idea with the soldering iron. I don't have a drill so I had to bring my Rosea's container to my uncles so he could drill holes. Although I do have a soldering iron so thanks for the idea.

Fossa

Arachnopeon
I've always used soldering irons for the vents with slings, my main viv is about 4 ft long with four divides and i've used the little hair catcher things you put in showers as vents, secure with a bit of T friendly silicon and you have a 99p solution. (will add a picture soon....might make sense then lol)

skar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yup ! Burn em in !

advan

oOOo
Staff member
for a drill and take out the bit in the center...apply little pressure at full speed , just let the saw melt the plastic or acrylic
You want to keep a smaller drill bill in the center of a hole saw. It acts as a guide, if you don't use one the hole saw will just jump everywhere as soon as you apply pressure and it'll scratch the acrylic you don't want to be scratched.

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
I used to use soldering irons to melt holes in things, but I have started using screens because they look so much better and low humidity is easier for me to fix than high humidity. Also, Mr. Schultz insists that all but the tiniest slings do just fine in dry set ups.

Ludedor24

FangzTv
Old Timer
You want to keep a smaller drill bill in the center of a hole saw. It acts as a guide, if you don't use one the hole saw will just jump everywhere as soon as you apply pressure and it'll scratch the acrylic you don't want to be scratched.

Ive used them on a daily basis with acrylics the only thing its going to do is crack it.... if you cant keep a small hole saw stable on a small drill you may want to think about not using one. Aside from that it usually helps to rotate the drill some near the end....Just my two cents...

There's no right or wrong way to do it....everyones got thier own method

Last edited: