Phanaeus vindex

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Sweet. Any approximation of how long the cycle is from mating to emergence from the poo?

hydrophyte

Arachnoknight
Nice! I saw a real similar Phanaeus (maybe the same species) in Jalisco.

Does that one occur in California?

myrmecophile

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have seen no records of Phaneus in California but since at least two species occur in SE Az it is probably not long before they end up here. P. vindex is a nice beetle but I like P. quadridens better.

bluefrogtat2

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
very nice pics,have always wanted to try my hand at these beetles but have always been discouraged...
very impressive
andy

BeetleExperienc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
balam - very nice photos !

bluefrogtat2 - you should try them out. It's actually not as smelly as you might think. I had my setup in our second bathroom and we never really smelled anything (gave them cow dung).

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Great pic of the grub! Really cool beetles. I used to walk around on a ranch in E. Tx when I was a kid, every once in a while I'd see a surprisingly big male. Not a huge beetle dude but these are one of my favs, don't like the issues with raising them though haha, but, oh well.

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ahhh yes... good ol phanaeus! I used to find these in southeast Arizona, 2 different species. They are pretty fantastic! It's great to see you have success breeding them. Very worth it :)

BiologicalJewels

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well, success is a relative term.
One thing that I've learned through the beetle hobby is patience. Apparently I have not learned it well enough.
One grub died (possibly of exhaustion) in brood ball #1, I cut a viewing window in order to take pictures, which the grub promptly closed within days. The window was reopened (due to my bad judgement) approximately every other week, each time the grub would cement and re-close the viewing window. Eventually the grub ceased to close the window and was found dead (desiccation is another likely cause, though I really think it was exhaustion).
Brood ball #2 also had a viewing window cut, but this was done only twice. Nonetheless, this is the result which, I think had to do with the lack of uniformity in the brood ball due to the viewing window incisions.

Time to try this project again.

Tarac

Arachnolord
Awesome beetles, nice work rearing them.

They love my dog's poo. Certain times of year they are very abundant, I purposely sequester some of his droppings in out of the way corners of the yard so they have something to use for broods (OK, so selfishly it's more so they show up en masse so I can watch them and the other cool dung beetles here).