Egg sac question

Quazgar

Arachnoknight
Near the beginning of the summer, I happened upon a male C. fasciatum and decided to try my first breeding attempt. My female was small, the male was free, and I didn't mind the possibility of losing him, so they cohabitated surprisingly well for two weeks until I finally removed the male and gave it away to another local hobbyist who was buying a few of my other spiders. Lo and behold, on 7-19, a month after I separated them, the female completely buried herself (which she has never done before) so I eagerly hoped for an egg sac to be produced. I have done plenty of research and feel confident in being able to raise up the slings to a point where I can sell/pass them on to other hobbyists. Today I peeled back just enough web/substrate to confirm that yes, there is indeed an egg sac hiding down in her little hole.

Unfortunately, there has been a bit of an unexpected wrinkle arise that I am unsure how it will affect my this process. That wrinkle is that my wife has been offered, and accepted, a job in Florida. We will be moving around 8-25, which will put our move approximately 35 days after the sac was laid, or as I was anticipating, about the same time that I am estimating the spiders should be approaching ewl or first instar stage. Obviously, there are still many variables that could render this whole concern moot (including her eating the sac or it being a dud), but if it turns out to continue successfully, what should I plan on doing to move them the 14 hours (plus a probable over-night stop on the way) and be able to give them the best chance of survival?

poisoned

Arachnodemon
I'd opt for straw packing them, like this:
[video=youtube;utH1qe23G30]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utH1qe23G30[/video]

sinflspeed

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think straw packing is a little early. At 35 days it is ok to remove the sac and check it. If it's a dud then there is no concern. If it is viable then I would set up a make shift incubator and just pack them in the vehicle with you. Keep them out of direct sunlight, and ensure they stay warm. Once you get to your destination you can do the same and just have better control of the heat and humity to ensure the best possible incubation condition. It isn't rocket science and just keep it simple. They will be fine.

Quazgar

Arachnoknight
I was assuming they'd be too young for straws. If only it were a few more weeks until 2i that would work beautifully. The incubation method I had been planning on was deli cups inside another container (probably would use a large Kritter Keeper with the vents taped off). Would it work using heat packs and wet paper towels for the trip?

captmarga

Arachnobaron
I'd personally go ahead and pull the sac, and use the double-cup incubator (one short cup with pinholes in the bottom nestled in the taller cup with the water base). Nestle the eggsac in a clean coffee filter, snug it with some clean papertowels. As long as the heatpack won't over-heat it, they should be fine for the trip. Let us know! My female C fasciatum ate the sac at 29 days, sadly. I really want to breed this species, so wish you all the luck with the babies!

Marga

Quazgar

Arachnoknight
I thought about pulling it, but I'm heading down to Fl on Sunday for a week to try to find a place to live so I won't be able to take care of the eggs (rotate and keep an eye on them). As soon as I get back it'll probably com out, though.

Quazgar

Arachnoknight
Just as an update, I got back from house hunting in Fl today, pulled the sac and have about half eggs, and half eggs with legs. Looks like the moving date is now for 2 weeks, so we'll see how far they've progressed by that time. Pics and an official breeding report coming soon :)

JungleCage

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'd personally go ahead and pull the sac, and use the double-cup incubator (one short cup with pinholes in the bottom nestled in the taller cup with the water base). Nestle the eggsac in a clean coffee filter, snug it with some clean papertowels. As long as the heatpack won't over-heat it, they should be fine for the trip. Let us know! My female C fasciatum ate the sac at 29 days, sadly. I really want to breed this species, so wish you all the luck with the babies!

Marga
i agree, this is what I always do with my babies its easy and great for traveling

Quazgar

Arachnoknight
Another update: I still have about half eggs, half ewl's. A fair number of ewl's are starting to darken considerably, so I'm assuming an upcoming molt to 1i is on its way. Is it common for some of the eggs to take this long to emerge, or can one assume that those eggs are bad and won't hatch?

Ludedor24

FangzTv
Old Timer
Yeah , if it's to the point where they are 1st instar I doubt the other eggs are going to do anything. Did you notice any of the eggs turning black or drying out? Post a pic.

Quazgar

Arachnoknight
None of them have turned black, or really even changed color. Unfortunately, can't really post a good pic until I get down to Florida, where my wife already has the computer, and that will be middle of next week. I doubt iPad pics would give too much info...