Question abour using cardboard for hide

GodMachine

Arachnopeon
I just wanted to make sure that i could use cardboard with my T's. I want to know if there is any chemical additives to cardboard that might poison my babies lol? i planned to fold the cardboard and press it into the organice potting soil im using with the open side facing the side of the enclosure to make a stable hide for my 1/2 inch C. darlingi and H. maculata any info on this would be very useful to me and greatly apprectiated!

iaminside

Arachnopeon
do not use cardboard. bad idea. go to walmart or target or wherever and buy a plastic container. it will save you the headache of chasing a T through your house some morning before work. lol

Ivymike1973

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
do not use cardboard. bad idea. go to walmart or target or wherever and buy a plastic container. it will save you the headache of chasing a T through your house some morning before work. lol
I think the OP was talking about using the cardboard as a hide inside a plastic or glass enclosure, not using cardboard as an enclosure.

Last edited:

Winters

Arachnopeon
I just wanted to make sure that i could use cardboard with my T's. I want to know if there is any chemical additives to cardboard that might poison my babies lol? i planned to fold the cardboard and press it into the organice potting soil im using with the open side facing the side of the enclosure to make a stable hide for my 1/2 inch C. darlingi and H. maculata any info on this would be very useful to me and greatly apprectiated!
Cardboard will work quite well as a hide. However don't be surprised if the tarantula decides to chew it to pieces.

iaminside

Arachnopeon
I think the OP was talking about using the cardboard as a hide inside a plastic or glass enclosure, not using cardboard as an enclosure.
my bad. in any case still a bad idea imo. an type of paper product is just a bad idea.

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
Slings need moisture. Moisture on cardboard will create mold. I would not use that. Go to petsmart and buy a 4 dollar piece of cork bark that they sell for hermit crabs and just break pieces off of that.

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yep. Cardboard is going to mold. I also suggest cork bark. In my experience, that stuff never molds.

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
Yep. Cardboard is going to mold. I also suggest cork bark. In my experience, that stuff never molds.
I actually have a thin piece of cork bark that's in my B. jacksoni's container that has a thin fuzzy look that covers a silver dollar size area. I rinsed it off but it grew back. The enclosure isn't very humid and I have plenty of ventilation on it. It's on the under side of the bark that's lying at a 45 degree angle. Makes me a little nervous although everything I've read and seen suggests that a small amount of mold is not detrimental to the health of the arachnid. Weird though.

Quazgar

Arachnoknight
I've (temporarily) used one in a completely dry G. rosea tank with no problem, but I would not use one in any setup with any moisture in the substrate.

captmarga

Arachnobaron
I had a male that was trying to chew out of his acrylic box. I gave him a cardboard flower pot and let him mangle that instead. He tore it into several pieces, but he stopped fanging his cage. I removed the bits later each time I opened his box to feed.

Marga