New Macro Photography Setup P. Nivea

NavyDT

Arachnopeon
Hello all,
i just got myself a real macro set up. Im using a D7000 with a Nikkor 105 Macro lens. here is my first photo after a quick play around. let me know what you think. this is of a P Nivea adult female. the bottom two are of an Adult Male G. Oblongata

Thanks!
NavyDT

Last edited:

NavyDT

Arachnopeon
Ok, today i learned what a flash is... also what Fstop does. F22+ more field of depth.. or what ever. anyways, hope these are accually worth looking at now... no idea what beetle this is, but its fairly interesting...

NavyDT

Arachnopeon
Here are some pictures of a newly shed sling...

---------- Post added 08-23-2012 at 09:24 PM ----------

Here are some Red Goblin Roaches... very small.... and SO FAST!!!

ecooper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ok, today i learned what a flash is... also what Fstop does. F22+ more field of depth.. or what ever. anyways, hope these are accually worth looking at now... no idea what beetle this is, but its fairly interesting...

LOL! Yes, those are good things to know about for macrophotography! You have access to some great critters! Good luck...keep shooting (and posting the results)!

Cheers,
EC
www.macrocritters.wordpress.com

NavyDT

Arachnopeon
ecooper your pictures are awesome! i hope to be able to take macro photo's like you some day!

BiologicalJewels

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The beetle is Cotinis nitida, and kudos on your set up, with time your skills will improve and we'll be looking forward to more of your imagery.

iaminside

Arachnopeon
nice setup! cant wait to see what you post after a few months of experimentation. looking good already!

NavyDT

Arachnopeon
Alright, ive been at a vaction house for the past few days, ive got some eye candy for people to look at. im trying to shoot everything with as low iso as possible. there are still a few problems i am having.

1) critters move way to fast for me to find them, focus on them, and shoot... half the time i cant get close enough, or i cant focus fast enough for a good shit.
2) too much of the insect is out of focus. even just a slight wobble on my part takes the entire point of focus out of whack.

my set up most of the time
D7000 Camera
105mm prime nikkor micro lens
on camera flash
40~60 fps
16-32 F-Stop
120-400 iso

here are a few of the photo's i have been able to shoot while i have been here.

NavyDT

Arachnopeon
Just working through some of the photo's i took, here are today's batch...

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Those are great pics. I'm hoping somebody can answer this, in the second post, the one of the beetle, it's too yellow. My little old camera is all auto. Of course I know that it has to do with lighting, but when it is yellow, it's always very close the same shade of yellow. Then I'll take another pic with almost the same conditions and it will look great. I'm assuming it's switching light modes but does anybody have anymore details about that, other than, "change the lighting"? NavyDT, did you figure it out?

NavyDT

Arachnopeon
i know it has to do with the lighiting setting on the camera ie "cloudy" "sunny" "indoor" "florescent" ect, if its set to auto, then somtimes i will manually set the light setting in the camera to one i think looks best. the beetle photo i posted is a bit yellow but im sure thats because the flash was flashing off of a maple desk top. hope this answered your question?

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I knew all that stuff but thanks for trying. I think I'm just frustrated with it because no matter what lighting mode I put it on it still comes out yellow like that too often. I guess the lighting situations are border-line indoors sometimes so the mode doesn't fit well and the the others don't fit well either. Maybe not enough lighting mode options for the conditions. I guess I need to change the lighting to fit the best mode, ..better.

NavyDT

Arachnopeon
Here is the next installment of NavyDT's burgeoning macro photography obsession!