New Millipede

hermitman64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I just picked up a new millipede at my local PetCo today. I'm not sure what he is, so I need your help. He has alternating bands of brown and yellow and is a few inches long. He seems to be a U.S. specie. Considering I live in Texas, I'm betting it is the millipede that is usually just called the Texas Millipede, or the Texas Striped Millipede, even though I never see them wild around here.

I wasn't planning on getting him, but I felt bad when I saw him curled up in a corner of his enclosure that had a substrate of wood chips, no hide spot, and a blaring light over his head. I already had a terrarium set up ready for my next pede, so I thought, 'Why not?" Plus, he's very pretty. So, if anybody has any idea what he could be or possible care tips (I think he needs a little less humidity than my African pedes), please let me know. Thanks,

Gary

P.S. - Pictures are coming soon.

hermitman64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've decided that it is defenitely what I was referring to as the Texas Millipede. It is also commonly called the desert millipede. It is most likely a Orthoporus ornatus or something similar. Pretty easy to care for, but unforunately I can't put him in a community tank with my others. Oh well...

And once again, pics soon, but he burrowed last night and I haven't seen him since. Thanks,

Gary

hermitman64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Bad Pic

This is the best picture I could get last night with my crappy camera. The rest are worthless. I'll try to get a few better ones later when he's out.

Sorry about the picture being small. What size should I resize pictures to in order to post them? Thanks,

Gary

Attachments

Last edited:

Critterfarm

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
nice healthy looking milli. looks to be a big one as well. Maybe I need to go find a petco...

coco

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
think im going to

think ill have a visit to petco to :D

hermitman64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thank you. I was suprised to see him there, as they usually only have AGBs. I also wanted to get him out of there fast because the reptile guy said that they had two, but one of them snuck into the scorpion enclosure and was dead within minutes.

Unfortunately he hasn't eaten much that I can see since I've gotten him. Oh well, at least he's as healthy as he is. Thanks again,

Gary