Centruoides gracilis popped!

scorpio

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I was not expecting this! :eek:

Just a few hours ago, I checked on my two C. gracilis and found that one of them had around 15-20 children on her back! I am very excited, but a little surprised as I have absolutely no clue on how to care for these guys until they drop off the mothers back.

Please provide as much information as you can about how to raise these guys because I am clueless. I will check other threads regarding this subject too.

Thanks.

Diao

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Very nice! These bad boys will grow and leave quickly, so be prepared. Leave it up to the mother to care for her young, but I would recommend offering pre-killed crickets. Also, try to move her to a more bare container if you plan on seperating the young. The young once they have shed, will feed on pin-head crickets or pre-killed adults. They will scavange and share crickets. Keep high humidity, as they will frequently molt.

Frank

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nice pics and good luck!

I've got two or three C. gracilis that are about to pop too.. I can't wait!!!

Frank

Navaros

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Good luck with the scorplings. Can't offer more advice than what has been offered. But congrats, I hope I can get some gracilis soon.

scorpio

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
My other gracilis popped today. Looks like I will have quite a few scorplings to care for!

Navaros

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you have too many I wouldn't mind caring for some. ;P

scorpio

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
It is Day 8 and they havent left yet. Im a bit concerned as I will be leaving on a road trip for several days on Friday, so I hope they drop off by then.

Are there any signs that they will show before they leave?

Thanks.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Leaving the mother's back is not exactly an explosive event. You will notice that they move around some more on her back and then they will start hanging out under/around her. It is only later that they will truly wander off.

Cheers,
Dave

Scorpie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
none of my scorpions have popped in over 2 months now and i miss having little critters on their backs. hopefully my large female emp will have some babies soon

scorpio

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Alright. 4 of the babies have dropped off so far from the first scorpion and it looks like they have molted.

I will try and get some pictures up tomorrow

scorpio

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Well all the babies have left the first female, and 17 of them are doing well, voraciously eating lots and lots of lobster roach nymphs.

Another 4-8 babies died from dessication/other reasons.

Overall I am pretty impressed, and I hope in the next couple years to have a nice big colony of C. gracilis {D

Anybody have molt records that accurately map the growth rate of this species?

Thanks